Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Newbie..mountain rifle

BrokenWing

I'm a noob to Western big game.

My 2016 MT NR combo looks to be a guarantee although maybe shouldn't count my chickens.

Anyway, I've got a great 300 win mag with good optics that I'm very comfortable with. Thing is a tank though, 9 lbs easy. I know that heaving my way up a mountain/hillside, I'll be happy to have that heavy implement if I ever get to look down the scope.

This is THE gun I'll be using but I am curious if you guys who live and breath western elk/deer/bear, etc. are lightweight mountain rifle proponents? Not second guessing, just curious.

I would like to have one, but I just spent that $ on Swaros. As far as priorities go, a ultralight rifle is lower on the list. I will have one someday, but not until I have a high end spotter,and several other bigger ticket items.
I think a Forbes or Sako finnlite is probably a good balance of quality at a reasonable pricepoint. Cooper mtn ascents are popular
A lot of good things said about Tikka t3, especially for the $.

I guess I'm lucky in the fact I did not have a rifle made for 'western" hunting so I was able to cough up some cash recently. I went with the Howa Alpine Mountain rifle and topped it off with a Leupold VX-3i and Talley rings. Only weighs 6 pounds 9 ounces.

You can get a lightweight rifle that shoots good pretty easily now days. So for me, no reason to lug 2 extra pounds up the mountain. IMO

I didn't really notice how heavy my 9 # Mark X was until I passed 55 and tore up my right shoulder. A neoprene sling helped, but eventually I went to a 6 # rifle/scope package for carrying over hill and dale after CO elk.

I would like to have one, but I just spent that $ on Swaros. As far as priorities go, a ultralight rifle is lower on the list. I will have one someday, but not until I have a high end spotter,and several other bigger ticket items.
I think a Forbes or Sako finnlite is probably a good balance of quality at a reasonable pricepoint. Cooper mtn ascents are popular
A lot of good things said about Tikka t3, especially for the $.

Did you mean Kimber? If Cooper makes a mountain rifle I'd love to check it out.

I hunted for years with a .243 with a bull barrel. Heavy. I never noticed. I though it was the way it was supposed to be. Found out later that I was a fool.

Even today, I would probably use that rifle. Extremely accurate.

I have a few lightwieight guns. I use Forbes 24Bs, Kimber 84Ms, and a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle.

I also have some heavier guns, including a 300 WBY that probably weighs 9lbs and does get carried around the mountains quite a bit.

Although, I find myself carrying light rifles more and more these days. I started to carry magnums less and less when I bought my first laser rangefinder in 2006. Ballistic reticles helped quicken the transition after that. I can get out past 400 pretty easy with that combo. In most situations, that is far enough. In all situations, the light guns are much nicer to carry.

If the gun is 9 lbs with the scope, your doing pretty good there. You can get lighter guns, but a lot of guys tote 9lbs and heavier guns out there. Mine is just over 11lbs.

While a lighter rifle might be "better" for packing, an extra couple of pounds of rifle weight will not make or break a hunt IMO. The rifle I carry most often is 9.5#. I'd suggest spending new rifle money on binos, boots, and a backpack upgrades (in that order) unless you have what you need as I do think those things can break a hunt easier than 2# of rifle weight.

While a lighter rifle might be "better" for packing, an extra couple of pounds of rifle weight will not make or break a hunt IMO. The rifle I carry most often is 9.5#. I'd suggest spending new rifle money on binos, boots, and a backpack upgrades (in that order) unless you have what you need as I do think those things can break a hunt easier than 2# of rifle weight.

^^ This. Or you take up archery hunting to save weight :D

I use Tikka T3 Lites and they're pretty light. I think with a Z3 scope and rings my 30-06 is a little over 7lbs.

My hunting buddy recently bought a Savage Lightweight Hunter. Bare gun it's around 5.5lbs. It's a sweet gun. Great build quality and very nimble.

I don't think gun weight is a deal breaker, but there surely is a noticeable difference between a 7lb gun and a 10lb one.

It certainly isn't a requirement, and I would always default to what you can shoot best.

While I think it is always a good idea to try and manage one's own weight, I don't think losing two pounds on your body directly correlates to being able to carry two more pounds in your pack. I think most people have a tolerance for a certain amount of external weight they can function with before it starts to degrade their abilities; which I believe is largely related to carrying the load smartly, core strength, and mental conditioning (I believe most folks break down in this category first in the mountains).

Probably one of the best things you can do with a rifle is carry it more efficiently. A Kifaru Gunbearer or strapping it to your pack, so the weight is more evenly distributed makes a huge difference!

I looked at a Savage LW hunter in 6.5 creedmoor, at 5 & 1/2 lbs. it's very light. Add a compact LW scope and you have a nice package well under 7 lbs. The closer I get to 70, the more it appeals to me. You pack a rifle a lot more than you shoot it.

The higher you go the more important weight is in my opinion. Sheep hunters can get pretty finicky I've heard. For a high country deer or elk hunt they can be nice but I don't think its a deal breaker. As mentiined work on your conditioning and/or carry it better like a pack or gunbearer. Nine pounds isn't that bad especially if you shoot it well. Thats about what my rifle weighs that I took last fall and I have a custom gun under 7 pounds. Guns that shoot well, or that you are the most comfortable with, are never a bad choice.

Good info and thanks for it.

I should of clarified. I haven't actually weighed my gun/scope combo but it "feels" heavy....I'll put it on the scale tonight. Maybe it is closer to 11 lbs.

I bought a nice used badlands 2200 on here from someone and figure I can strap that beast to it.

I think I'm geared up pretty good. I'm sure I'll come home thinking I needed "x or y" but any of those things will be more comforts than necessities.

Don't want to be the naive newbie asking foolish questions but really found everyone's thoughts on it interesting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back