Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

new to western hunting elk and mule deer

westernhunter98;2368482 and also I am wondering is it worth it to buy gear like Sitka in my first year even though It is my first year and I am still growing?[/QUOTE said:

Its a scientific fact that just wearing Sitka clothing makes you a better hunter. Animals feel honored to be shot by such a high quality hunter that they will walk out in the open just to be taken by a well dressed nimrod

No kidding, I saw the commercial on the Outdoor Channel :D

Its a scientific fact that just wearing Sitka clothing makes you a better hunter. Animals feel honored to be shot by such a high quality hunter that they will walk out in the open just to be taken by a well dressed nimrod

No kidding, I saw the commercial on the Outdoor Channel :D

Disclaimer*....MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A CAMERA CREW;)

...sorry Fin, softball.:)

Buy the best optics you can afford then thank us later. As your bankroll increases down the road you can always upgrade.
Most importantly - Get out and Hunt! You can find toys and gadgets later.

Welcome to HT

***I guess the newfangled phones are nice, but I'm with you on having a decent GPS with a chip and I know where I'm at within a few feet on the map. Without phone service a map is just a map on a screen and then the guessing begins as to where you are!

From my experience I prefer the phone over the GPS. The phone just seem like it is higher quality. the touch screen seems to work better and the screen is much easier to see. But I have an older Dakota 20 GPS so the newer ones might be better as well.

My guess is that GPS sales will continue to drop off as more smartphones cut into he GPS market. Not to mention the phone has a built in camera along with all the other functions of a smart phone that most GPS units do not have. It's getting harder and harder to justify spending $500 on a GPS unit when the phone you already have will probably do the same thing plus a whole lot more.

2 words - merino wool. Thank me later.

Seriously though, buy merino wool stuff and save your $ on hunting company clothing. Backpacking brands in drab solids are way more functional, cheaper, and lightweight. I have NEVER owned a piece of clothing made by a hunting company and found that it out-performed or could be bought cheaper than its backpacking/hiking counterpart.

I thought about that last sentence pretty darn hard before I hit 'Submit' and cannot think of an exception.

Regarding the cell phone... anyone know how well do those portable/wearable cell phone chargers work?

I would never trust my life to my cell phone without battery backup because it will run out of batteries when you need it most. However, I see there are external batteries you can connect (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Boostpac-Auxi...s/B003R7KNLE/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1). Does anyone have experience with something like this? My garmin screen completely sucks and I'd love to have the gps maps data on my phone.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen®-520...02347974&sr=1-18&keywords=5200+mah+power+bank

This is what I use. It can completely charge my iphone 5 twice.

i.e. - phone is going dead, charge it back up to full, phone goes dead, charge it back up to full, then my power bank is out of juice.

It's not going to be enough power to sit and play video games all day long in a weak cell coverage spot where it is searching around, but if you are just using the GPS and not keeping the screen lit the entire day it lasts pretty easy.

I use it in my hunting blind and it keeps me in business all day long with a decent amount of time spent playing on the phone, checking email, surfing the internet etc.

I'd also chime in favor of the phone as GPS. I think I was able to get every USGS map for something like 7 or 8 bucks. The app also lets you put maps together so there are never any seams or edges to your map. I've used a variety of chargers, but I keep the phone off unless/until I need a GPS fix.

Those look ideal npaden. I hope they take it to the next step and enable texting and talking like a walkie-talkie when you don't have cell phone coverage and also polling of locations of your partner like my Rino.

It's a wonder I ever killed anything with just a rifle, knife and small fanny-pack that had an apple and a candy bar in it.

Seriously, just go out and hunt. The gear can come later (and it will come later, just ask my wife).

The above is good advice - but don't let not having gear stop you from going hunting.

thank for all the advice I have a good pack and boot I am just wondering what you guys think about binoculars because I have 300 dollars to spend on them?

westernhunter- I'd reccomend getting in touch with Schmalts on here and check out what he carries through his website Predator Optics. I think a lot of his Theron optics will meet that budget and are a great value.

Most people have their faces in their phone enough during everyday life. Get a GPS and look at it once in awhile. mtmuley

It's getting harder and harder to justify spending $500 on a GPS unit when the phone you already have will probably do the same thing plus a whole lot more.

I guess my priorities are a little different, I have a $600 GPS and a $10 Trac-Fone (that is 5 years old and about half the buttons work:D).

That said, my wife has a fancy phone, and I know that my GPS is much more dependable and user friendly than that phone is.

I just upgraded to an iphone, although it is arguable if my new smartphone is making me smarter, but what Apps are you guys using for navigation in the mountains? Thanks!

Nevada is nearly all public land. You shouldn't have to worry much about property boundaries. I wouldn't bother with the GPS at this point. Buy a map.

In terms of clothing, you may already have what you need in your closet. I suggest picking up some surplus wool pants, or some inexpensive synthetic pants. Avoid cotton and stick with synthetics and wool. Do you already have a long underwear top, sweater and jacket? If so, they will work. You can upgrade those items down the line.

Nevada is wide open country. You'll need to be able to glass, hike and pack.

I suggest that you focus on the following. Not necessarily in this order:
-Midrange priced binoculars in the 42-45mm objective range.
-Good boots
-Good Pack (a regular backpacking pack will work)

Last edited:
Ya know, here's an interesting fact. Back in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, hunters across the American West killed thousands and thousands of elk and deer every year. And they did it without GPS, Gore Tex, carbon-fiber, laser rangefinders, two-way radios, Google Maps, trail cameras, ATVs, short-mags and the typical elk call was a PVC pipe with a cork in one end. How in the heck did they do that?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back