Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to HuntTalk, New to Hunting

Laughing Crow

Hey all,

I'm originally from Northern Virginia, right outside DC. I do not come from a household of hunters, let alone family members who owned or knew how to operate firearms. In my early 20s I purchased a firearm for home protection and another for concealed carry. Now in my late 20s, I have decided to combine my passion for the outdoors in hiking and camping with firearms and to pick up hunting. I've started acquiring the gear, listening to hunting podcasts, reading books, watching youtube videos, and researching the WMA areas of VA to see where I can hunt on public land.

With all that said (I'm not even sure this is the right place to put this) I don't know of anyone that hunts public land in VA or that is willing to open their private land to a newbie like myself. What would you all say is a good starting place to actually learn the necessary skills for hunting? Should I look into purchasing a guided hunt? Or is it realistic for me to actually DIY this and figure it out utilizing what I've read?

Thanks all for the welcome to the forum, the wealth of info here, and to Randy for his awesome podcast. I've learned an immense amount about conservation and the importance of the role of hunters in it. I only wish I had done more as a hiker/camper to help with those efforts but plan to definitely make up that lost time now.

Welcome aboard.
What I would do is find a local shooting range and sign up. You'll soon find like minded people who are willing to take you under their wing and show you the ropes. I would imagine public hunting grounds are going to be hard to come by unless you're willing to drive a little bit. Once you do find a place to hunt, start out on some small game. Squirrels are always fun to test your stalking skills on and not to bad in the pot either.
Good luck.

Welcome to HuntTalk Laughing Crow. My brother has hunted on Quantico and another military posts near DC, those areas have some special restrictions on weapon, and access. Most military posts have info online on how to access for recreation and hunting. His favorite deer blind is a machine gun nest.......just remember to wear hearing protection as when the muzzleloader goes off, its really loud in that concrete bunker.

Welcome! I think to DIY it is perfectly acceptable and do-able. Have you taken a hunters safety course? My wife recently completed her's online and seemed to learn alot from it(more that just safety) Safety is #1. Like previous posts suggested I would start with small game such as squirrels or rabbits (that's how I started as a kid). Perhaps someone on the forum lives near you and would be willing to show you the ropes, or like others have suggested, try joining a local sportsmen's club or even a local chapter of a national conservation org(pheasants forever, whitetails unlimited, RMEF) to connect with other hunters.

You may have found this already but seems like a good resource for public land in the state http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wma/?pid=31

Try to make connections with land owners who may grant you permission. Ask around, family members, people at work, etc... someone usually knows someone that has property or a farm or whatever, or knows of someone who permits hunting. It never hurts to just nicely knock on someones door and ask too.

Welcome! I think to DIY it is perfectly acceptable and do-able. Have you taken a hunters safety course? My wife recently completed her's online and seemed to learn alot from it(more that just safety) Safety is #1. Like previous posts suggested I would start with small game such as squirrels or rabbits (that's how I started as a kid). Perhaps someone on the forum lives near you and would be willing to show you the ropes, or like others have suggested, try joining a local sportsmen's club or even a local chapter of a national conservation org(pheasants forever, whitetails unlimited, RMEF) to connect with other hunters.

You may have found this already but seems like a good resource for public land in the state http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wma/?pid=31

Try to make connections with land owners who may grant you permission. Ask around, family members, people at work, etc... someone usually knows someone that has property or a farm or whatever, or knows of someone who permits hunting. It never hurts to just nicely knock on someones door and ask too.

^^^^ Great advice^^^

I know a handful of people just like you that have started in the last couple of years and its really exciting. Welcome to the forum and the hunting family.

I'm not familiar with your area, so I can't give any real advice and how to meet people there, but two people I know have run in to reluctance to have people allow them to tag along. One is constantly offering to be a pack mule just so he can learn. This is an awesome offer, but it requires some one to take him in to a hunting location that an experienced hunter has spend years finding and refining (hence the reluctance to allow him to join). I personally am more willing to help some one if they will go and find a hunting location and ask if I want to join along. The key to this is doing some research on your own and choosing an shoulder season when an experienced hunter is not trying to fill his or her tag. Matter of fact if you want to pick up a late season cow tag next year in Utah, I am always happy to help a guy out.

MJE2083's advice above seems like a great place to start. I met a couple of guys in 2012 that live back east and have found hunting buddies through the Safari Club.

I hope that helps.

If there's a local gun club that would be a good place to start. Not only could you get pointers with your shooting, but you can also network with people after they learn about your interest in hunting.

Welcome, I am new to the forum as well but not hunting. I also lived on the east coast when I was younger and struggled to locate people and spots as well back there. My advise is to look at it in the same way you might approach on line dating. Put yourself in places that will have like minded folks and talk to EVERYONE! Find the gun club, archery club, trapping club and church then join. Go to outdoor related events and start shaking hands. If you have any skills find some land owners and offer to help around the farm ect.

I have had great success talking with farmers in my past and first asking for permission to hunt problem or nuisance critters like predators and ground hogs and the like, then demonstrate that you can follow the rules and are an upstanding guy. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back