Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Javelina

Well dang, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having trouble tracking down these little buggers....

If you're finding bedding sites I think you're on the right track! I was going to head back out for the statewide OTC tag, but it looks like they've sold out for the year so it's looking like I'm done until next Feb.

This guy does a few tracking videos that I found helpful. The desert he's in looks more Sonoran than what we have here, the Chihuahuan, but the pursuit seems to be the same. When I was out, I was doing some walkabouts and following tracks as I found them. After watching this guy, I should have followed them longer than I did.

If you like wildlife science/biology books, I found this one to be based on older material but a fun read. I'm not sure on winter vs summer range, I'd have to go back and check but I don't think there is much of a change except maybe closer to water in summer. The book mentions that the entire herd seems to designate a bathroom, so it sounds like scat might be really concentrated to one spot, and not well distributed like deer or elk do.

Welcome to nm!

Thank you, Chama Grande! This is great info. I'm going to check out the book. I'm sure we've got a copy at the university. Here are some images of the abundant Javelina sign that I've come across.... The cattle seems to love parking and sh!tting on saddles, as they are always filled with cow pies, and the Javelina seem to leave no pie unturned.

Time to get back out and put in more miles.

IMG_1781.JPGIMG_1689.JPGIMG_1783.JPGIMG_1875.JPGIMG_1929.JPGIMG_1898.JPG

I drew the tag again, so I thought I'd buy the statewide OTC as well just to cover the bases and I guess you can't have both! I see why, but it looks like I can't head back to the forest where I saw them last year. Back to the desert, I'll be glad to be there in March

1708989604115.png

I drew the tag again, so I thought I'd buy the statewide OTC as well just to cover the bases and I guess you can't have both! I see why, but it looks like I can't head back to the forest where I saw them last year. Back to the desert, I'll be glad to be there in March

How did you draw already, NM doesn't do the javalina draw until April.

They're all over. Down here by Hueco Tanks there are quite a few. Sometimes the Oryx venture this far south. Just look for the Nopales that have been chomped on and get your distress call out. Study what their range is and what they eat. Then look for those good pockets with plenty of forage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back