PEAX Equipment

New Mexico Elk unit 51

azfisherman

I was able to get an archery elk tag in unit 51 , new mexico this year. Wondered if anyone is familiar with the area and could start me in the right area. It sept 1 to 15, I am hopeful that some calling will be happening. I planned on hunting the top section of the unit.
Thanks Azfisherman

Hey there azfisherman Im very familiar with unit 51. Lots of elk up there. I would say keep moving around to find the herds that no one is on. they have lots of room to roam in there. To the north you have some outfitters to work around but they are mostly good and offer some areas to hunt. I have some buddies that drew that same hunt. I will be up there on the first rifle hunt in Oct. My favorite place is around FR 125 all the way up to Las Nutrias Lakes. Even the road from El rito to Canjilon Lakes. Lots of land. A good Sleeper honey hole is behind the Ghost Ranch way up on top if you dont mind a good hike.

Thank you very much, I hadn't looked at that area too much. I am looking for back up plans to my first one, as I am sure you can relate. Can you tell me what vegetation is it, is it flat country? Looks that way for the most part. Coming in on 125 from Cebolla side how far would you say I need to go before I am into decent country? I know I am asking a lot , and its up to you, but I spent 12 days in Idaho last year and saw one elk. Worst experience ever. Everyone , including the game and fish guys blamed everything on the wolves. Do you think they will be calling in the early sept hunt? Ever hunt Arizona?look me up, I grew up there. Thanks

I have been Hunting and fishing in NM since I could walk and that is one of my favorite places. Lots of elk turkey and some big mulies. Good trout fishing too. so dont forfget you fishing poles. I usually guide my elk hunters around fr 124 or fr 125. Once you turn in on anyone of the roads you are in elk country. we killed a nice 6x6 last year right by the turn on into fr 125. Locate you water sources on you forest maps for the Carson National forest. Lots of elk up there but you got to know where the water is in the lower altitudes but in the higher parts there is water everywhere. these herds move pretty good around Canjilon Mtn. The terrain ranges from Sage flats around 5500 ft to Aspen groves at 10000+. I will help you as much as I can. If you hit it right you will hear them bugling at the start of the hunt all the way to NOv sometimes.

thanks for the input

Thank you very much for your help, I hadn't looked too much at that side of the unit. I will use it as a back up plan. With you being a native NM , have you used anyone for a game processor that is in the vacinity of that unit. Taking it all the way back to AZ isn't my first choice. I can do it myself ,but if its hot , which it probably will be, taking care of it would be my first concern.

nm 51

Greetings The nearest processer is in Chama. They are usually in a semi. I cant remember what the name of it is but they are usually there. If not you can ask around the local gas stations. Let me know when you are in NM If Im not busy I can meet up with you to give you some roads to check out. Email me when before you leave. My hunt starts on the 11 but Im leaving on the 10th. [email protected]

Back