Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New guy in NE Florida!!

Hello every!

i'm Shawn. I'm a 15 year Navy (cook) Veteran, originally from Massachusetts but now i call Florida home with my wife and our 4 year old daughter! i haven't had much time hunting while i was in the service, but had plenty of time fishing!! ;) actually, i'm a NEWBIE to hunting, been playing in the woods all my life, just never had the opportunity to hunt until now and the hunting i want to do will be with my bow! all my fellow hunting friends, say i'm nuts to want to use only a bow..lol i have started my first hunt in 40 yrs 3 weeks ago here in NE Florida for deer, hog & turkey's at Camp Blanding's WMA Archery Only Area (no luck yet). i hope to use my Navy connections with friends that i served with who live CO (Rifle), Ky (Georgetown) and Mt (Libby) for future hunts.. well, i think have babbled on long enough....oh, Randy, love the site and show!

shawn

Welcome to the site Shawn, and thank you for your service!
They may think you're nuts to only use a bow, but when you do connect, that trophy will be much sweeter!

Welcome.

I hope your connections in Rifle help you out. Plenty of public land and game in our area.

A tip. Be sure to at least get a preference point for deer in Colorado by the early april deadline. You will NEED it to hunt deer with a bow anywhere near Rifle.

Could be you want to get preference points for other species as well and also in other states. Takes a little planning to be able to lay your hands on some great bow tags out west. But worth the effort. Think of it like this, if you think you want to hunt out west in a year, or two or more, you need to get in line for tags now so you can actually get a tag later on.

MudRanger1 - i'm in Greencove Springs, just south west of Jacksonville & minutes from Orange Park.

Genesis273 - thanks & your welcome! ;)

Khunter- thanks for the info and heads up!!

thanks for the warm welcome guys!!

Brother, welcome to the site and to hunting!! I started when I was 33 and it has been awesome. I have been blessed to have been stationed here in CO. Hunting the big woods out here is a whole new ball game. This is a great place to pick up tips. Let me know if I can help at all. SFC B

Check out Veterans Park WMA when you come to KY to see your friend in Georgetown. Not quite western span but roughly 2600 acres in central KY that is free and open to the public. Welcome to Hunt Talk.

Welcome to the hunting fraternity, and thank you for you military service. Besides Camp Blanding, check out the Osceola WMA. I used to live in Fernandina Beach and then later in Gainesville, and if you check around there are several archery only clubs in your general area, and even one or two dog drive shotgun clubs if that might interest you. Good luck and best wishes.

Glad to see you here, Shawn. Lots of good information to be found here on self-guided hunting, though might be lacking a little depth in the public land areas of Florida.

Thanks for your service. Best of luck in your hunts.

Welcome to Hunt Talk and thanks for your service. My wife's father was a cook in the Army during WWII.
I just booked a day of fishing with Capt. Camp Walker in Islamorada over spring break in March for Diane and me. This will be our second trip with him. We love Florida.

i went back out hunting yesterday. man was it windy... i found out that my ground blind stakes that came with it are "el cheap'os". the blind wanted to launch into out space! lol i'll be buying some heavier and more robust "tent" stakes in the near future!! oh, i went o-fer again!! 0-5 this season, but it's still a challenge & FUN!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerks28
Back