New Fly Fisherman in CO

Wild Bill

So after having moved to the Western slope of CO (Grand Junction) I would like to try my hand at some fly fishing, however having grown up in MN and eastern SD I know nothing about it. Just wondering if anyone would be able to toss me some info on gear (i.e. rods, reels, basic flies). Also any direction on where to start looking for fish. By no means am I asking anyone to divulge any secret spots or honey holes, however general info that would help me to explore and figure it out by myself would be awesome!
Thanks for any input guys, I appreciate it!

Also, any decent walleye bites out this way? Sorry had to ask!

Get an 8 1/2 ft. five or six weight rod (Temple Fork, St. Croix, Redington all make good quality rods at a decent price). Redington,Temple Fork or Ross reel with weight forward floating line. Then go on-line and look up websites of local fly fishing shops to see what flys are needed for your local waters. Fly fishing is as addicting as hunting and a great way to spend your summer days between scouting trips.

Last edited:
Then go on-line and look up websites of local fly fishing shops to see what flys are needed for your local waters. Fly fishing is as addicting as hunting and a great way to spend your summer days between scouting trips.
I agree with you on that.
I would add, get a fly fishing lesson from a professional instructor, it will set you on the right road, a lot of fly shops will offer introductory lessons.
Rod length, personal thing, but i like a 9' rod, 6 weight will cover a lot of situations.
Cheers
Richard

Classes found through the local fly shops/guide services can really speed up the learning process. Learning how to read all types of water and figuring out how to present your fly to a specific zone in the river makes it very much a "hunting" process as well.

I find that a fish I catch on a fly that I made heightens the adventure one more step. Try to find a class or two on tying your own flies. It will allow you to meet more like minded anglers.

As a novice myself, I have found it easier to cast a medium action rod. My favorite is my st croix avid. Also, I have found it easier and more productive to use streamers such as wooly buggers. They can be fished up stream, across, or down and the casting is not as demanding as dry flys. Just my take on what helped me get on the water and catching fish.

Welcome to GJ. Right now the rivers are peaking, high, and muddy. Snowmelt runoff should recede to fishable levels in a few weeks and the fishing will pick up from there. Lakes up on the mesa should be fishing pretty well though.

I'd recommend getting your first outfit at the local shop (iirc - Western Anglers on Main Street downtown is the only shop in town). You will probably pay a couple bucks more, but just starting out, you'll get to cast different rods and get everything put together by a pro. NTM - having a good relationship with the local shop will help out sine you'll doubtless be in there a lot as you start out.

A 8.5' or 9' 5 weight outfit as mentioned above will cover most trout scenarios that Colorado has to offer. Like a 30-06, it won't be perfect for everything, but it will get the job done. You can build a quiver of situation-specific rods over the years if/when you get into it.

Good timing! Go to Gunnison River Pleasure Park ASAP. It is about halfway between Delta and Hotchkiss. Only about an hour from GJ. Right now should be the world-famous Salmon Fly hatch. This is dry fly fishing out west at its absolute finest. Al DeGrange (outfitter) at GRPP will get you set up- he has Leroy's old shop there at the confluence of the North Fork and the Gunnison. Al can give you some basic tips, maybe a casting clinic, and get you set up with flies and a rod (rental or purchase). Walk/wading should be fine, but a jet boat ride to the Smith Fork is great too.
With dry flies (salmonflies) the size of hummingbirds, it's like top water Bass action for large rainbows and Browns.
If you have trout spotted and they're being picky, try a little-yellow Sally, or caddisflies.
Good Luck!
-Levi

As a novice myself, I have found it easier to cast a medium action rod. My favorite is my st croix avid. Also, I have found it easier and more productive to use streamers such as wooly buggers. They can be fished up stream, across, or down and the casting is not as demanding as dry flys. Just my take on what helped me get on the water and catching fish.

This is great advice. Wooly buggers and leeches are skunk busters in your early days of fly fishing. They get eaten despite your drifts. I also started with a St Croix Avid, and it's an excellent rod that'll use for years.

Go with a guide or a seasoned friend and make sure that you learn how to mend -- controlling your drift is far more important than casting, IMO. Most western trout streams require precision over bomber casts at a 50:1 ratio.

Lots of good advice above.

I started with a 9' 5 wt Sage. Buy something with a lifetime warranty. Rods get broken and a warranty takes the sting out of it. If you plan on doing any lake fishing, I'd go 9'. If you're just thinking rivers, then you could get by with an 8 to 8.5' rod.

Don't spend much on a reel. All it does is hold your line. I burned up a few Cortland Crown IIs before I finally upgraded to an Abel. All the Abel does is look really nice while it holds the line, plus I'll die before it wears out.

Buy a good fly line, don't skimp here. Take care of it. Clean it and dress it, and don't get bug spray on it.

I agree 110% on learning to mend. I think learning to mend is much more important than being able to throw 80 feet of line.

I always figure if I can't catch fish on a bead head Prince or olive green Hare's Ear, I may as well resort to dynamite.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back