Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Nebraska Pronghorn

maxx

Has anyone done a Archery hunt in Nebraska? I think I am going to give this a shot this year. I have one guy that is going to point me into a direction.

It looks like I am going to give this one a shot because none of my tags came in.

I am planning on going September 10 through September 16. I cant leave on Sept 9 because of a work functions so I will leave early Saturday morning. This is most likely a solo trip but I may include a buddy if he wants to go.

So far I am thinking of setting up base some where in Crawford. I haven't decided if I will hotel it or camp, hell I may just sleep in my truck. I like the Crawford area from e scouting based on there seems to be a lot of public ground in short drive.

This area is about as far as you can get so I would be up for something closer but I don't mind an extra few hours if that gives me a chance at more success. They don't have success rates on archery but I did a little digging on gun success rates and I eliminated anything less than 70%.

That is my start for now.

I used to do a lot of hunting in the Pine Ridge area. Haven't hunted down there since the early 2000's. I would guess there are a few landowners who would allow access to some irrigated land to perhaps get the antelope off, that used to be the case anyways. I remember quite a few west of Toadstool park, a lot of public land out that way, but still quite a few acres of private. Over by Harrison it was always harder for permission, but, not on heard of. Good Luck!

I bowhunted there a few years ago. Never had any trouble finding goats but it was tough getting close. Public area is short pasture with gentle rolling hills and some badlands.

I came away empty handed but had fun in the process. Check out Fort Robinson SP. They have a campground and lots of cool history to explore.

I detoured threw that area and couple years ago on my way back from wyoming. Seen a fair amount of goats up around toad stool park area on down to the Crawford area. There were even a couple next to the state park.

I know going after pronghorns for my first archery hunt is a pretty tall task but.....

I am not after the biggest buck in the world. The first one that is legal is going to get shot.

I don't have a problem knocking on doors for permission. I tend to do well my buddy said it is because I look like a farm boy.

I am a whitetail hunter so I don't have a problem sitting over a water hole if I can find one for long periods of time.

I am thinking about bringing a decoy. From a pointer I got from another member I may be a little early for it but at least I am before the muzzy season so I don't have to worry about getting shot at. I am not sure if there is a lot of cattle in that area but I am thinking about getting a cow and a lope decoy. Either way I will have a hell of a lot of fun trying.

I start shooting my bow in July. I am going to switch back to a lighter arrow and a mechanical to help with range a touch. I am very hesitant to shoot at a whitetail over 30 yards because of the reaction. Do pronghorns react like whitetails when shot at with a bow?

This is prime cattle country. I would get familiar with the area and the people that live there.

This is prime cattle country. I would get familiar with the area and the people that live there.

I figured as much but do they let cattle on public ground? If not would a cow decoy still work? Do the Cow decoys work anyway? My buddy has one but we only used it to sneak honkers on farm ponds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back