NEW SITKA Ambient 75

My scientific method

5Speedjim

I wasn't going out west hunting this year but that changed yesterday. I keep reading posts and the "elkoholic" in me came out. I sent for a Montana Big Game combo, opened my gazetteer to show the western part of the state and closed my eyes and used a pin to pick a spot. It looks like I'm starting in area 321 west of Wisdom. I just hope the bears aren't to bad. I'm leaving the 24th and have 2 weeks off work. I'll do some research before then. If it ends as a scouting mission so be it. No chance if I don't go. Just looking for a piece and quiet

You will have a ton of fun, if nothing else. I hope you shoot a monster. If so, guys will be wanting your Gazetteer and your pin used to pick the spot. Good luck.

That is the best attitude I have heard in a long time!! Have fun and give it your best shot...I wish you all the best!!

Lucky pick. I would stick with that one. Shouldn't run into griz maybe a few black. Put on a few miles and get up high to get away from pressure.

Good luck. Put some miles on your boots and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks everybody. I blew a pile of points in Wyoming last year. Wolves moved in and the elk moved to private land. As long as people don't bother me it's all good. Bull or cow, I don't really care. One of the best hunts I ever had was when shot I spike hunting with my nephew. It took us 10hrs round trip to pack it out.
I just sent a E-Mail to the biologist, thanks for the idea jryoung

Any day in the elk woods, is better than a day at work! Good luck, hope you kill a bull.

Use Google Earth first.... look for 3 things in combo... North East mountain sides with parks near by and sources of water. Always think bedroom, kitchen and travel route between. Once you get good at spotting these areas you will find elk. Watch the wind and you should get yourself an elk... wind moves downhill in the morning and uphill once it warms up.

Great country up there, I worked on a ranch out of wisdom while in college. There are quite a few wolves in that country too, so a wolf tag might be a good investment to. Good luck, there are some dandy bulls in that country. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.

Back