Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My new rig!

Bob Vetter

Well it took about 6 months start to finish, but its finally done! Here's the specs.

358 Winchester on a 700 LH SA squared up fitted with a 21" Douglas Premium #3 1-12 twist barrel and all the metal was Cerakoted matte black

HS Precision stock and bottom metal with a 4 shot mag

A Custom Trigger and to top it off a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10x40 with CDS

Finally got to do some barrel break in and with factory loads 1" groups were no problem. Needless to say, I m very happy. The rifle came in at a perfect 8.5 lbs with every thing on it. Yup, I m in Love!

Last edited:
Cool gun. Looks great. I had to google that cartridge to see what it was.

I'm just asking....what type of hunting are you planning on doing with it? What animals and at what distances?

That's the article I read when I googled it.

After reading it I posted the questions wanting to know what he wants to do with it. I'm curious. I really want to know why a hunter would want to build a sweet rifle in this specific caliber. I'm not being smart, I really want to know.

Not at all stu, I was curious also. I've a bud who owns one in a Win lever. Don't think he's ever fired it.

The .308 case has spawned many children.

I'm waiting for the .22-08, the .23-08, the .25-08, the .27-08, the .29-08, and the hard hitting .45-08 : )

Oh and the .20-08 and .17-08

THANK EVERYONE!

Here's another article for you https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/the-358-winchester-a-true-hunters-cartridge.89440/

So here's my answer to your questions - I built the rifle because I love the .35 cal. I also built it in 358 win because its just plain cool. I also wanted to be different. With today's new powders and bullets the old forgot cartridges can really really shine and in most cases are much better choice than a magnum.

Is it a 800 yards target rife - no its not. Its a solid, hard hitting rifle and to tell you the truth its more than capable of 400 yard shooting/killing.

I plan to use it all over the place from Maine to Montana. Basically on anything that walks North America. I will certainly be caring it for elk this year.

Its a reloaders dream to work with. Its going to be fun.

Cheers

Interesting caliber that I have never investigated, thanks for sharing.

Yeah its very interesting to me at least. Its unfortunate what has happen to a lot of these mid century wonders! I think its high time they start coming back. There are several top notch performers that fall into that arena. For example one of the very finest 7mm's to ever exist is the 284 winchester. Another fantasitc one would be the excellent 257 Roberts for those quarter bore fans. The 358 is a great example of a medium bore that hits like a freight train with 225 grain bullets and offers excellent mid range performance out to 400 yards or so on all on NA's game animals. Since most of the gun rags have written all these wonders off its really been up to small groups of die hards that know better that are keeping them around. The 358 is once again gaining because of the AR-10 crowd because its a 308 based cartridge that offers way more pop than a 308. The 284 is once again gracing the 1000 yard shooters because its so darned efficient and accurate. Those are just a couple of examples. I will add right at this time the 338 federal is suffering the same fate and its a shame.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to the gun world. In 2009, I couldn't tell you what the difference was between a .270 and a .30-06. At that time the Short Mag craze was starting to fizzle.

The more I learn about case size, bullet size and construction, BC, Velocity, recoil, powder burn, etc........

I have to remind myself sometimes that the firearm manufacturers have bean-counters just like the company I work for. Often times the bottom line wins no matter what!!! I look at the pros and cons of a Short Magnum and when I get done, I still feel that Winchester just wanted to sell more "stuff", not because there was really a need or because they were better.

What I mean is now I rarely see a WSM calibered rifle on the shelf, and when I do it's usually got an "on sale" tag hanging on it. Pretty soon you will walk up to the counter and they will say "you can have any type of gun you want, but everything you see is chambered in 6.5 creedmoor". : )

I feel bad that a Ruger American in a magnum caliber costs the same now as an M77 mark 2 used to. Every company has to make money to stay afloat, it's just sad sometimes when it's so obvious you can hold the evidence in your hand.

I digress.......cool gun, interesting cartridge, next time you are in Billings I'll pay for your guess pass at the Rod and Gun club so I can experience for myself what being kicked buy a 225 grainer out of a short action feels like. ����

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to the gun world. In 2009, I couldn't tell you what the difference was between a .270 and a .30-06. At that time the Short Mag craze was starting to fizzle.

The more I learn about case size, bullet size and construction, BC, Velocity, recoil, powder burn, etc........

I have to remind myself sometimes that the firearm manufacturers have bean-counters just like the company I work for. Often times the bottom line wins no matter what!!! I look at the pros and cons of a Short Magnum and when I get done, I still feel that Winchester just wanted to sell more "stuff", not because there was really a need or because they were better.

What I mean is now I rarely see a WSM calibered rifle on the shelf, and when I do it's usually got an "on sale" tag hanging on it. Pretty soon you will walk up to the counter and they will say "you can have any type of gun you want, but everything you see is chambered in 6.5 creedmoor". : )

I feel bad that a Ruger American in a magnum caliber costs the same now as an M77 mark 2 used to. Every company has to make money to stay afloat, it's just sad sometimes when it's so obvious you can hold the evidence in your hand.

I digress.......cool gun, interesting cartridge, next time you are in Billings I'll pay for your guess pass at the Rod and Gun club so I can experience for myself what being kicked buy a 225 grainer out of a short action feels like. ����

Yeah, you sure hit the nail on the head there. Its recoil is actually not all that bad. Very manageable and way less than a 300 wm or 338 wm

Nice rifle, despite being wrong handed! :)

I too like different calibers and have a stock waiting for a model 700 in 35 Whelen to be found at the right price....

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back