NEW SITKA Ambient 75

My kid and a $600 truck

T Bone

My 2nd kid is almost 16 and has had his drivers permit for a while.

A few days ago he called me at work. He was so excited he could. not. speak. in complete. sentences.

He's been saving some $ from lawn mowing and found a truck for sale that he could almost afford.

He was in the Safeway parking lot, and the truck had a "For Sale" sign on it. I went through a couple questions, certain that the answers would reveal to his 15 year old brain that he does not want a broken down turd.

What year, make and model? 1980 Ford F150 Ranger Package. Standard cab short box.
Engine? 300 straight six
Trans? Manual 4 speed
Body? Nice
Interior? Like new Dad!
Miles? 76k, supposedly original
4x4? Yes

Hmmmm.....sounds too good to be true. Walk away son.

He started talking painful gibberish, so I agreed to come down and take a look.

I was surprised. Original owner. All records. Inside was really nice. It drove straight and true. Everything works, even the A/C.

It has rust behind the wheel well and in the bed (rubber bed mat).

Through a little negotiating, my son and I own a new to us Ford. I've been driving it. It's boringly reliable so far. It makes me wonder why I'm making payments on my Tundra....

The magic of youth and a nice 4x4!

Can't complain about that! Heck the tires even have tread. It definitely has less rust than my first truck. I bet you can't wait until you get that 1am phone call about him getting the truck stuck and needs help pulling it out.

My Straight 6 in my 1990 F150 went for 262,000 miles, before it blew up last week. Those are great engines if you take care of them. The most expense in repairs was the starter and "U" joint replacements. That's a great deal if you ask me.

good luck to all
the dog

I think the car Gods must've felt like they owed you one after your Scout fiasco.

Heck of a deal. 'Know what I think? I'll bet the truck owner met your son and was impressed, so gave him a deal. 'Bet that smile on his face is stuck until he gets stuck with his truck.

Wish him the best. 'Hope it turns out to be a critter hauler.

Everyone is talking about the truck... yes its a great deal. I like the fact that he worked and saved up his own money to buy it, he will appreciate it that way.. what a great life lesson.. way to go Dad.

The smile on that young man's face alone is worth the price. It's great when your first vehicle is one that you are that excited about.......not just a beater with a heater. Well done to your sone and to you dad!

I bought a $500 rust-bucket Dodge Dakota about a year ago.....still running so far. Figure if it falls apart, I can scap it and get a few hundred back. Your truck looks 100% better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet deal and I too like the fact he earned it himself.

What does the bumper sticker say about "private land"?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back