Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

My 2023 Iowa season

Unrelated, was down in sabula last week, seemed low from memories, but that's 15-20 years ago hah

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think lansing tries to hold 9 ft?
Lansing has been between 6.0 and 6.5 all summer. It dipped below 6 briefly during the last heat wave. But those numbers have nothing to do with the depth of the river channel. For example, lynxville stage is currently at 612’ and Mcgregor is at 6.4’. The stage refers to datum or a fixed starting point. The datum for lynxville is sea level, so that means the river surface is 612’ above sea level.

9’ is how deep a fully loaded barge drafts so that is what depth the Army Corps maintains between the navigational buoys whether it’s through wing dams, lock and dams, dredging, or a combination of all 3. Some navigational

The navigational channel project began in 1865 on the Mississippi River when wing dams were built using willow mats and rock. The original wing dams were designed to bring the channel to 5’ deep as paddle wheelers were getting bigger and running aground. As ships continued to get bigger the wing dams were built up and finally the first lock and dam was built in Keokuk, Iowa in 1912. Today there are 29 dams from st Anthony falls to St. Louis. Many of the original wing dams are still in place today.

Lansing has been between 6.0 and 6.5 all summer. It dipped below 6 briefly during the last heat wave. But those numbers have nothing to do with the depth of the river channel. For example, lynxville stage is currently at 612’ and Mcgregor is at 6.4’. The stage refers to datum or a fixed starting point. The datum for lynxville is sea level, so that means the river surface is 612’ above sea level.

9’ is how deep a fully loaded barge drafts so that is what depth the Army Corps maintains between the navigational buoys whether it’s through wing dams, lock and dams, dredging, or a combination of all 3. Some navigational

The navigational channel project began in 1865 on the Mississippi River when wing dams were built using willow mats and rock. The original wing dams were designed to bring the channel to 5’ deep as paddle wheelers were getting bigger and running aground. As ships continued to get bigger the wing dams were built up and finally the first lock and dam was built in Keokuk, Iowa in 1912. Today there are 29 dams from st Anthony falls to St. Louis. Many of the original wing dams are still in place today.

What's the datum for lansing ?

Monday morning we ventured out in the fog. You can probably guess how that went. Even as the fog started to lift it was difficult to glass.

In the afternoon the visibility was better but still cloudy and damp. We spent the afternoon learning the north part of the unit, stopping and glassing the public areas. This is a low point unit in the northeast part of the state so not alot of public access. Lots of antelope on private but nothing on public.

20231003_073908.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back