NEW SITKA Ambient 75

My 1st whitetail hunt

TripleJ

I got invited to hunt whitetails over in Idaho for this 1st time this year. None of us had ever hunted in that country before, so we all went into it pretty blind. I did have a list of drainages and road systems to check out thanks to one of my customers that lives in that area. The hunting turned out to be pretty tough, and the pressure was definitely more than we imagined. The warm weather and lack of snow didn't help much either. On the morning of the 4th day of our trip, I hiked in behind a Forest Service gate in a road closure area. There was a large clearcut back in a ways beyond the gate. I then proceeded to hunt the cut like I would blacktails here in western Oregon, creeping along the top edge of the unit and glassing every few steps. After about an hour, I located a doe feeding on a bench below me, and soon after, I located a buck in her general vicinity. The shot ended up being about 200 yards. I was very surprised when I walked up on him. I guess you could call it the opposite of "ground shrinkage." I feel very fortunate and blessed to kill a good buck like this, especially on my 1st try at hunting whitetails.

You did really good for this part of the country, congrats. The amount of roads, people on them non stop in pickups and atvs, and just generally the amount of people can make it tough. Sounds like you thought correctly on how to avoid that and it paid off.

OK, I hate you now!:D. That's an awesome buck for however long you've been hunting.
I spend many days in the stand and have been for over 30 years, but I haven't killed hardly any to the caliber of that buck.
Congratulations!

If that was ground shrinkage, I'd hate to see what you thought you were shooting. Congrats on a great deer.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back