MT

That makes complete sense. And you being from WY you are probably used to driving, so living in Ranchester to the dam is probably feasible for you. that area up there in northern WY is my favorite. I think a large portion of the Crow reservation in Montana is really productive ground and there are some really good folks out in the rural areas.
I only drive 20 minutes to work now, but my job has me driving 5-7 hours per day. Im definitely use to the windshield time. I just dont know about losing family time to buy property. Its becoming difficult to justify it through family conversations. I love the parts of northern Wyoming that I have seen, but havent spent a great deal of time there.

Would you consider getting a place in Ranchester and also use the Fort Smith employee housing or rent one of those trailers for a couple nights a week? I don’t know if the job has any flexibility but if you worked 4 ten-hour days you could drive out on Monday morning and come home Thursday evening. You would miss out on three nights of family time but it would save a ton of driving and it would give you another day at home. NPS doesn’t seem like the type of org that would allow it, but it could be worth asking about. I assume you wouldn’t be able to work from home one day a week? It makes a good paperwork day

Last edited:
You might also be able to rent a room or something from one of the fishing outfitters in inclement weather. Might help to get to know some of the local businesses and all that.

I only drive 20 minutes to work now, but my job has me driving 5-7 hours per day. Im definitely use to the windshield time. I just dont know about losing family time to buy property. Its becoming difficult to justify it through family conversations. I love the parts of northern Wyoming that I have seen, but havent spent a great deal of time there.
It's tough been there hell I am there. You can be miserable with the drive or miserable with where your living. It's a tough balance some folks don't mind being in town. It is not for me. So I have to commute quite a bit more to be able to afford what I wanted. I'm not sure I still have the right answer for you.

Would you consider getting a place in Ranchester and also use the Fort Smith employee housing or rent one of those trailers for a couple nights a week? I don’t know if the job has any flexibility but if you worked 4 ten-hour days you could drive out on Monday morning and come home Thursday evening. You would miss out on three nights of family time but it would save a ton of driving and it would give you another day at home. NPS doesn’t seem like the type of org that would allow it, but it could be worth asking about. I assume you wouldn’t be able to work from home one day a week? It makes a good paperwork day
Those are some good questions to ask during the interview process. I doubt that 4-10's would be availible or a telework day, but it definitely doesnt hurt to ask. I emailed about the govt housing, but havent heard anything back yet. Federal jobs are slow moving during the interview/hiring process.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back