MT Sand Hill Crane hunt

What Map

This story starts with a huge “Thanks You” to Rat Fink. Through personal communications on HuntTalk, he lined me out about hunting sand hill crane in western Montana.

I followed his advice and on my fourth day of hunting knocked down a large crane. The first day I showed up at day light and walked into brand new territory for me. It was along a large lake 80 miles from my home.

I heard sand hills within the first 30 minutes of walking but it only sounded like one or two birds. It turned out that there were only four or five birds on the whole lake. I put on five miles of hiking trying to locate the birds and figure out where there were going to leave the lake and head for the grain fields.

I didn’t figure it out for three more days, but I finally got under the exit path of two birds. I took the bigger of the two and dropped him with one shot. It was a mile carry back to the truck. He is an absolutely gorgeous bird. Gold eyes, blue-grey feathers with splashes of brown. And the size or a small whitetail.

There has been much discussion about the edibility of sand hills on this blog, so I decided to treat the breast muscles as if they were venison hind quarter muscles or maybe a back strap. The sand hill breast muscles are about the same size has a large goose. The one I have has large muscle fibers and was a little tough as I took it off the breast bone. However, there was no strong smell. It didn’t smell gamey or like strong waterfowl. It did not smell sweet either. It smelled like it would have a normal venison flavor, which it did.

After removing the two muscles, I coated them with a little salt, a bunch of Mrs. Dash lemon pepper, some liquid smoke and a little MSG. I covered with some vegetable oil and placed them in a closed container in the refrigerator for four days.

Since I was going to treat it like venison steak, I cut a few thick slices across the grain from the small end of one of the muscles. I fried them in a cast iron skittle over medium high heat in butter. I pulled them out when they were very pink inside and a little blood ran out when cut.

They had a perfectly acceptable venison flavor. The muscle fibers needed a knife to cut but they were not super tough to eat. They are not “rib eyes.” At least not the rib roast cuts I get at the Oasis in Logan, MT. Those are tender and have lots of fat dripping off them. Few cuts of wild game except back straps and inside tenderloins can compete with the rib roasts from the Oasis. Two different animals, literally.

I put horseradish on each bite just as I do beef rib eye steaks. It was very good. I wouldn’t hesitate to serve them to anyone who enjoys venison steaks. They are not as good as venison back straps and tenderloins however.

Bart with crane

Bart&crane reduced 2015.jpg

Crane head

Crane face reduced 2015.jpg

"Steaks in skillet"

Crane in skillet 2015.jpg

Horseradish for crane, green sauce for eggs

Horseradish 2015 reduced.jpg

Grandsons #1 and #2

R&E&Svt crane 2015.jpg

Grandson #3 with wing

Jesse&crane wing 2015 reduced.jpg

Looks like you had fun and shot a nice bird. Must be low numbers there this year. Usually there are a ton of cranes around by now. Congrats.

Very cool! I missed one the only time I got to hunt them. I'd like to give it a go again sometime.

Cool. I'm hoping to get after a swan next year, then the next big bird on the list will be a crane! Not sure which states allow crane hunting tho?

Great post! Glad you were able to pattern them and get your tag filled!

I'm guessing 12 gauge? What load did you use?

Last edited:
Great post! Glad you were able to pattern them and get your tag filled!

I'm guessing 12 gauge? What load did you use?

Imagine my surprise when I read in the regulations: "Non-toxic shot is not required for webless migratory birds." They are doves, snipe and cranes.

So I used a 3inch 12 gauge with 1 and 3/4 ounces of #5 lead at 1330 fps. It was a relative close overhead shot using a full choke.

At least ten pellets went through the breast and then all the way through the bird. Both wings were broken and one leg as well as the bird's neck.

Also I was boiling my wife's antelope skull when I shot the crane. I decided to also do a "European" mount on the crane's skull. This is how it turned out:

Sandhill crane skull reduced 2015.jpg

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back