MT Mule Deer Symposium

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This email was sent to me by a MOGA friend (yeah, I have friends who are members of MOGA) and forwarded by some of the sponsoring groups, telling me about a sypmosium MOGA is hosting, sponsored by the Mule Deer Foundation, Boone and Crockett Club, Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks Foundation (a private non-profit foundation separate from the state agency and funded by individual donations) and Dallas Safari Club. I was asked to help spread the word on this one, thus this post.

The focus is the state of mule deer in Montana and what can be done to improve things for mule deer in Montana. Given how many of you are much more serious mule deer guys than I am, I suspect your interest and input would be far better than mine. Hopefully a Hunt Talker, or two, will attend.

Friends,

Montana Outfitters and Guides Association is hosting a Mule Deer Management Symposium as part of the MOGA Winter Convention in Bozeman. The Symposium is designed for Landowners, Ranch Managers, Sportsmen, Agency staff and anyone with an interest in improving and enhancing Mule Deer in Montana. The Symposium is sponsored in part by the Mule Deer Foundation, Boone and Crockett Club, Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks Foundation and Dallas Safari Club.

We have assembled world-class list of speakers and the session will fill up fast. On line registration is available.

We would greatly appreciate your assistance in spreading the word by sending the attached announcement to your Montana Membership.

If you have any questions please call.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

Mac Minard
Executive Director
Montana Outfitters and Guides Association

To attend, here is the link where you can sign up online. Wish I could be there, but will be at SHOT Show. If any of you are able to attend, hopefully you will provide us a report of what was discussed and your impressions of it.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e6s6mu1560b8af52&llr=gjeiz6jab

Flyer for this event shown below.

Mule Deer Management Symposium Poster pdf.jpg

Fin,

Utah SFW has already firgured it out. They are going to fix Utah's deer in the next four to five years with their coyote bounty. Just ask Don:) I hope they can find a real solution to the national problem of mule deer decline.

Fin, I also have a friend or two in MOGA and got invited to this mule deer symposium on the 12th. I'm planning on being there.

This is something I'd like to attend. Gonna have to check the work schedule. mtmuley

78% support current seasons.

#4 bullet point for Barriers to Obtaining desired Mule Deer hunting experience in Montana:

Not Enough Big Bucks. Poor opportunities to harvest a mature buck.

First 3 Don't count.

Make up your mind:confused:

The agenda has a speaker from Deseret Land and Livestock of Utah so maybe some form of Ranching for Wildlife will be presented as the answer? Big bucks... but you will never get a tag unless your wallet is bulging. Sorry but I will always be wary when a symposium is sponsored by MOGA and supported by Safari Club (of Dallas??)

The agenda has a speaker from Deseret Land and Livestock of Utah so maybe some form of Ranching for Wildlife will be presented as the answer? Big bucks... but you will never get a tag unless your wallet is bulging. Sorry but I will always be wary when a symposium is sponsored by MOGA and supported by Safari Club (of Dallas??)
That is the first thing I thought of when I read Randy's original post: the proposal would be to limit tags and have some sort of Ranching for Wildlife program to guarantee the outfitters/landowners tags.

Dinkshooter,

You are a genius! I wish everyone had that same thought. I truly believe that would help immensely! Good thoughts!

That is the first thing I thought of when I read Randy's original post: the proposal would be to limit tags and have some sort of Ranching for Wildlife program to guarantee the outfitters/landowners tags.

And planned for the end of the first full week of the legislature.

Interesting.

How about limiting the ability of outfitters to drive all over public land! Yeah, I'm bitter that my "secret" place was desecrated by a damn outfitter who tried to confront us about being on public land while he was driving a damn UTV across them! F(*&%(*&$(&3er!!!!!

Dinkshooter,

You are a genius!

Dink, is that the first time you have heard that?

I have to say just kidding, because I actually really like Dink's post and their uncanny wit. And I think he is pretty spot on for a lot of things! But since the world apparently ended and nobody told me, I better let you know I am actually kidding!:D

How about limiting the ability of outfitters to drive all over public land! Yeah, I'm bitter that my "secret" place was desecrated by a damn outfitter who tried to confront us about being on public land while he was driving a damn UTV across them! F(*&%(*&$(&3er!!!!!

Better yet, how about limit the number of outfitters. A good start would be taking the current number and getting rid of 50% of them.

Brian;

Not arguing your point, but I think it needs to go a little deeper than that. If outfitters.....or anyone else for that matter weren't out hunting at all the last two weeks of season it would help immensely. Montana will have a hard time with that though as everything revolves around the almighty dollar. Maybe allowing doe hunts the last two weeks on a limited basis and in certain areas, but shutting off the buck hunting might work. Just a thought.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back