Moving to new state

Scheff17

Which state would a guy benefit most by becoming a resident when it comes to elk draw opportunities?

There’s about 1/2 a dozen threads on this topic. People will argue the subject to death but the list is probably something like this...

1. Wyoming
3. Montana
3. Colorado
3. Idaho
4. New Mexico
4. Utah
5. Nevada
6. Oregon
6. Washington
7. Arizona
8. Alaska
9. Nebraska
10. California
10. South Dakota
11. Kentucky
12. Pennsylvania
13. Minnesota
13. Michigan

There’s about 1/2 a dozen threads on this topic. People will argue the subject to death but the list is probably something like this...

1. Wyoming
3. Montana
3. Colorado
3. Idaho
4. New Mexico
4. Utah
5. Nevada
6. Oregon
6. Washington
7. Arizona
8. Alaska
9. Nebraska
10. California
10. South Dakota
11. Kentucky
12. Pennsylvania
13. Minnesota
13. Michigan

Well said! :)

In NM have a better chance of hitting an elk on the road than drawing a tag.
Yeah,but you get to see them..........LOL
I'm 6 for 10 on bull draw since moving here,8 for 10 as NR.........just sayin.

Yeah some people just don’t take the time to figure out how a system works then just complain about how it’s rigged and terrible. Lots of griping about how CO is terrible for residents and the seasons are too short, but if you spend 30 min looking into it you realize that you can get 2 elks tags a year, hunt bulls for 4 weeks with a bow, then a cow for between 9 days to two months with a rifle, 2 bears a year with a rifle from sept 2 - nov, deer... etc etc etc.

If you want to go hunting every weekend and have the time, but aren’t because you don’t have a tag it’s because you’re too lazy to read the regs not because there isn’t ample opportunity.

I think AZ, WY and NM would be hard to beat. For all around comfortable living personally I would pick AZ. If it was all about elk NM and WY would give you more tags. As beautiful as NM is I wouldn’t really want to live there.

I think AZ, WY and NM would be hard to beat. For all around comfortable living personally I would pick AZ. If it was all about elk NM and WY would give you more tags. As beautiful as NM is I wouldn’t really want to live there.

Az.does have comfortable living.We broke 3 heat records this week alone,Come to
Az.and melt into the desert with rest of the comfortable people.Bring a Koozie
your gonna need it.Our cold water was 87 deg. yesterday morning.Ice is a precious commodity. :cool:

That leaves more hatch chiles for me. The land of the owl burger ain't all bad. 85 degrees in summer with little wind and alot of sunlight suites me best. We get a heat wave or two over 90.

I'm 6 for 6 as a resident, but my elk units are all typically 28-35% draw odds.
I'm still super lucky, but I'm not putting in apps that go 16D, 16A, 34.

That leaves more hatch chiles for me. The land of the owl burger ain't all bad. 85 degrees in summer with little wind and alot of sunlight suites me best. We get a heat wave or two over 90.
...Neuvo Mexico,no maas, no more.....roasted chiles on grilled elk backstrap for left overs,poor Rio & me.

I was thinking about this topic yesterday when I went down to a spot I know to collect downed firewood with Rio.
Sat. morning with the county fair going,main N-S hwy & I saw more elk than traffic.
Scoped out several spots to get a load 1/4 from hwy,but decided to check the next valley I had not been in. Had not gone 1/2 mi down a side road & there was a big herd feeding mid day. Stopped & glassed as I listened to the calves chirping to cows. Right in the middle was a nice 7x7,maybe pushing 380. I smiled,turned around & went back to wood load spot & a couple hours later with truck full,drove out to the hwy gate to head home,30 mi. I bet I only heard or saw a dozen vehicles all day.
One week before bow season in one of the best units in state near one of the best known spots & I saw one guy scouting,with his dog.

Glad everyone thinks Mexico 1st or breaking balls or whatever...................lol.
Rio & I listened to the elk at sunrise at home........with a hot 85 deg day to come & green chile & backstrap we have to cope with, after unloading the truck,maybe...Pie Town. It's no Bozeman.............

Last edited:
Back