Motivating Hunting Partner to get in Shape

ElkHunter11

I'm going on a first rifle elk hunt this year with my Dad. The season starts the 2nd weekend in October, so we still have 2 months to get ready. He lives in California, so all I can do is remind him that the hunt is coming up. I have been working out very consistently for a little over a month now and have been relaying this to him to hopefully get him moving. However, he keeps telling me he hasn't started.

We have gone on archery hunts the prior 2 years and he has been out of shape for both hunts, so he knows how hard it's going to be. I don't want anything to hold us back from harvesting a bull this year, which is why I am training so hard. My question to the forum is- how do you get someone motivated to workout when you can't physically be there to help push them? I'm sure there are some that have been on hunts with someone who was out of shape and either ruined the hunt or made it difficult to get where the game was. Good news is that he always hangs in there, but it would be a much better hunt if he were in shape.

You can't make someone else get in shape, that's up to them. Be glad you are able to hunt with your dad. I don't know how close you are with him, but who knows how many hunts you two have left together...

A little different here because it is your dad. Keep reminding him and enjoy your time together! That said...I am hunting with a new partner this year because I got tired of doing all the work on the hunt and preparing diligently to hear the same excuses from him in the fall. I had to carry 70% of the weight for camp when we packed in and also was constantly stopping for him to rest when we hunted. He was a little older then me which to me, I would think he was do 2x as much to get in shape for fall....not half. He will be better off hunting with someone his "own speed" and I am happy to go fast and light with someone else this fall. Looking forward to it!

I think Luke said it very well. It's up to them to get in shape and if they don't want to, then they're not going to. I'd say make the most of this trip but in the future, maybe do antelope hunts with your dad and do elk hunts either solo or with a partner who is dedicated to being in shape.

I tried for awhile to get my dad to go on some hunts with me but he's not the adventurous type at all. Leaving the county to hunt would be a pretty major step for him. Now I don't even ask him to go because I know it would just be a frustrating hunt.

I agree with noharleyyet. Cherish the you have with your dad and have fun

Since I don't know how old you dad might be, keep in mind it's harder for older folks to "get in shape" just because of everyday aches and pains. My dad hunted with us til his mid 70's and he didn't get around so good so we just made sure we tailored our hunts to him. You could see by the smile on his face he was just happy to be out in the hills with his sons and grandsons.
He didn't care if he shot anything because we noticed sometimes he never bothered to load his rifle.
Just enjoy every minute you can spending time with him.

I pass up several hunts a year I know I can hunt hard my way and bag a lot of animals so I can hunt with my dad. He is 83 and as long as he is willing and able to go I will be there with him. Every year we go I count as a blessing.

My advice to you is to hunt with your dad and maybe schedule another hunt as well where you can hit it the way you want.

I think everyone's given you pretty good answers. It it more important to bag that bull or be out there with your dad? When I hunt with my dad, he's up around 7, then breakfast. We may not get out to where we are hunting until 9. But I'm hunting with my dad. He's not an early riser. I'm up at 6:30 every morning without an alarm clock. But what's more important.

I can see both sides of this. I hunt with my dad a lot and I understand the time spent with him. I also know it takes a lot of time, effort and money to do these hunts. Not everyone can do multiple hunts a year.

My dad is very out of shape. He is pushing 400lbs so hunting anything other than short walks is not happening. I have done a handful of hunts with him over the last year that he can do. I am doing a antelope hunt this year, I let him know, I let him know he was welcome to come along and hang out but he wasn't really invited on this one. Fact is he couldn't have done it anyway. I will still get a few waterfowl hunts and deer hunts with him.

I wish he was in shape in fact I have vowed to never let myself get like that and do that to my own kids. I have done everything I can to try to get him to take care of himself but the fact is he has no interest. Different generations on things.

Every father/son dynamic is different....had I told Big Skip that he needed to adopt a regimen to improve the quality of a hunt together he would have told me kiss his azz...and I would've been sorely disappointed were that not so.

I definitely am not taking hunting with my Dad for granted, it is something that I have always enjoyed and will cherish forever. Obviously getting a bull would be great, but the week I get to spend with him far outweighs that. Also couldn't imagine not going on an elk hunt without him as we both love it more than any other hunting. I started the thread more simply to see if others have had similar issues.

Is your next question on how to get your wife to lose weight?

I have not figured this one out yet!:p

My dad never cared much about me, or hunting, so I cannot comment on that. I did, however, have a partner that I went on several hunts with that refused to get into shape. We went to Newfoundland on a moose hunt and he was pathetic. That tundra almost did him in and the guides were worried about him. He got a small moose and was at the end of his rope when he did.

He told me one time that he had joined a gym. I asked him if they served pizza and that did not go over very well!

Some people just are what they are and cannot see the writing on the wall. Just go hunting and enjoy the time, as it is over before you know it!

Interesting comments.

I also hunt with my Dad, and at this point he's in his early 70s while I'm in my late 40s. He's always been heavier, but a couple of years ago I lost 50 pounds so I'm now back to college weight, almost high school weight.
He's seen me lose it and then hunt after, but is still not motivated to lose even though he can see that it obviously decreased his chances at game the last couple of years. I encourage him to lose, as does my Mom, but I can tell you from experience, both personal and professional, that you can't make anyone lose weight or get in shape if they're not motivated to do it themselves.

Enjoy the hunts, know that the pace will be slower, and push him a bit when you're in the field.
I'm now really looking forward to when my college age son can join me on longer hunts in the future so that we can be more adventurous.

+1. You can't motivate someone to change something they don't want to change. My own dad drives me nuts hunting at times, but enjoy the time together. If there's a time when you want to take off after a bull and let him stay where he's at, that might be okay, but you aren't gonna get him in shape if he's already been there done that and hasn't decided on his own.

The fact that it's your dad changes things entirely. I had a neighbor who was going to hunt with me, but never put in the effort to prepare for the hunt. He wouldn't read up on elk behavior, digital scouting, regs, nothing. He certainly wasn't getting in shape, so I dropped him. I am now going hunting with a partner who is in even worse physical condition but has absolutely put in the academic and physical effort to make this happen. It's been the best thing to happen to him in years! Some people want it, some people think it's sitting in a stand White-Tail style.

You case is different. Your first priority is enjoying hunting with your dad and making those memories. Period. Harvesting an elk is second or third or fourth, but it is certainly not before this experience and time with him. I am 35, my dad is 69 and he's hunted the Olympic Mountains his whole life, but we have never done it together. He is not in bad shape by any means, but he's sure not in a condition to tackle the Olympics with or without an elk-quarter on his back, but he's still going to go and hold camp for us and help us out. While we're out romping in the brush - he's going to fly fish and cook.

When your with your dad, you hunt at his pace. You'll be glad you did later.

Your Dad should not affect your hunt at all. A great strategy is he hikes up a ways to a good vantage point that elk may cross and you spend the day busting hind end after elk. You both should have a great day and double the chances at elk and see double the country. I would take my Dad on every trip if I could. The easiest suggestion I would have is encourage him to walk a mile or two every single day rain or shine for his health. Let us know how the hunt goes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back