Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana combo draw odds

Ellspert

I have been trying to find out the draw odd differences between the deer combo and the elk/deer combo with 0 points. I understand the deer combo is running around 50-54% but I can’t seem to find out if the elk/ deer combo odds are any better? Gohunt only has either the deer odds or the elk odds.
Does anybody have any info on this?

Last edited:
I have been trying to find out the draw odd differences between the deer combo and the elk/deer combo with 0 points. I understand the deer combo is running around 50-54% but I can’t seem to find out if the elk/ deer combo odds are any better? Gohunt only has either the deer odds or the elk odds.
Does anybody have any info on this?
The magic google machine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_112155_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_112155_Drive.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 143
NR General point creep from ‘22 to ‘23 is depressing 😡. Not that I’m complaining - MT still provides some of the best opportunity there is to chase deer and elk every couple of years for a NR. Just a comment on the demand side and the fact that there’s no secrets anymore.

NR General point creep from ‘22 to ‘23 is depressing
But total deer apps where down like 1400 and big game combo down a few hundred so not all bad. On the application front. The management front well that leaves some room.

You are correct it offers some good opportunity to hike around the mountains with a bow or gun every few years and watch elk on the big private fields 😀

What’s the free for all you speak of?
Non-resident has had a cap on it and I don't think it's changed for a long time, however the resident numbers...

I get it I get annoyed by out of staters in my state too but reality is everywhere is growing. Especially Montana, Idaho etc

Hopefully Montana is headed towards different management and we get rid the nonresident free for all.
I'd be much more worried about the trend towards catering to outfitters and large NR landowners. If the woods seem a little crowded, it's likely all those new MT residents/hunters getting out there. The NR cap hasn't changed since 1975 I believe.

What’s the free for all you speak of?
IMG_3884.jpeg
A Quick Look at region 6 and 7 and no other state allows this. Nonresidents need to come less often and be directed to where they go. That is the free for all with a state wide general tag. Nonresident tags are not capped with the new programs. Wildlife first, nonresidents that pay the bills probably deserve to be in 3rd place behind wildlife and residents. Tags will still sell out.

View attachment 319008
A Quick Look at region 6 and 7 and no other state allows this. Nonresidents need to come less often and be directed to where they go. That is the free for all with a state wide general tag. Nonresident tags are not capped with the new programs. Wildlife first, nonresidents that pay the bills probably deserve to be in 3rd place behind wildlife and residents. Tags will still sell out.
There has to be some variables to explain some of the numbers. Nonresidents are paying over $1000 more if it's the combo so probably a little more inclined to hunt harder or more probably just shoot any buck where a resident could hold out. Also, the skewed numbers are in regions 6 & 7 where not many people live so again nonresidents are probably more willing to drive out there to fill tags where as residents are staying closer to home, hence why the other regions are so stacked with the ratio, because that's where the majority of the residents live. Just a theory.

Edit: From the same resource this I think more accurately shows the impact from nonresidents. There's no way nonresidents have 33% of all deer tags.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_183410_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_183410_Chrome.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
View attachment 319008
Your delusional

Back