Montana Block Management Thievery!

No over issues?
None that I’ve heard of. They give a set date to call, tell you to leave three preferred dates you’d like to hunt, along with other pertinent info on their voicemail, then send a permission slip if you get drawn from the hat. Seems like a logical way to run type 2 so folks like Mr. Dice don’t get checks over the course of a decade for letting their buddies hunt.

There is one in Region 5 on Tony Creek that is a family and friends operation, another on the NW corner of the Crazy Mountains, Sieben Ranch in 339, and the T.R. Ranch in region 4. All this is doing is taking funding away from honest landowners that enroll in the BMA program and limiting hunters.

I had a smiliar experience on a region 7 BMA, 2 years in a row. That was the last time I called about getting access.

There is one in Region 5 on Tony Creek that is a family and friends operation, another on the NW corner of the Crazy Mountains, Sieben Ranch in 339, and the T.R. Ranch in region 4. All this is doing is taking funding away from honest landowners that enroll in the BMA program and limiting hunters.
Start a thread and list em.

Being wholly honest - I can't say I have ever dealt with this - but I feel pretty irritated for the honest folks that take the low pay (vs outfitting leasing) to help the public at large.

There is one in Region 5 on Tony Creek that is a family and friends operation, another on the NW corner of the Crazy Mountains, Sieben Ranch in 339, and the T.R. Ranch in region 4. All this is doing is taking funding away from honest landowners that enroll in the BMA program and limiting hunte
This is the problem with these types of conversation. I know that there are several type II BMA's that ranchers are taking advantage of but if you can't get access to Sieben Ranch in 339 then you either did something wrong and are banned from that property or you didn't know the rules of the ranch. That place is literally open to everyone. You don't need to contact them or do anything at all.

Sieben is Type 1, killed or been a part of a bundle of elk kills there in the last few years. Definitely don't group them in with the bad actors - it's some of the best elk hunting in the area.

Last edited:
This is the problem with these types of conversation. I know that there are several type II BMA's that ranchers are taking advantage of but if you can't get access to Sieben Ranch in 339 then you either did something wrong and are banned from that property or you didn't know the rules of the ranch. That place is literally open to everyone. You don't need to contact them or do anything at all.
Sieben Ranch is Type 1, killed or been a part of a bundle of elk kills there in the last few years. Definitely don't group them in with the bad actors - it's some of the best elk hunting in the area.
There is more than one Sieben Ranch place. I think he got the HD messed up. There is one in another district nearby through Sieben where I have had the exact problem discussed. Called first morning right at opening time and told it was full. Actually I called, they said OK, put my name down, then called back 15 minutes later and said "Sorry, we made a mistake, it's full then". Complete BS

There is more than one Sieben Ranch place. I think he got the HD messed up. There is one in another district nearby through Sieben where I have had the exact problem discussed. Called first morning right at opening time and told it was full. Actually I called, they said OK, put my name down, then called back 15 minutes later and said "Sorry, we made a mistake, it's full then". Complete BS
Yep that's Sieben Livestock, different ownership entirely and different HD, no relation to Sieben ranch and the Baucus family.

It’s the ranch west of I 15, not the ranch up York/Nelson

Sieben Ranch is pretty much a wide open type 1. All you do is sign in. I have never had any issue getting on. The owners are pretty generous.

Solution is so simple. Make it a draw deal or first come first serve THROUGH the FWP/FWP website.

Wyoming does it that way and we don't have these problems.
I've spent years establishing relationships with a few BMA owners. Doesn't mean I get preference but the idea of dealing directly with FWP is cringeworthy. Those F'ers will just f' it up. Case in point some of the antelope hunting in 700.
I don't care if people find the current system frustrating.
Deal with it.

There, I said it.😏

Sieben Ranch is pretty much a wide open type 1. All you do is sign in. I have never had any issue getting on. The owners are pretty generous.
It’s the bma in district 339, not 446 by York/Nelson. Maybe I have the wrong name

It’s the bma in district 339, not 446 by York/Nelson. Maybe I have the wrong name
When I look at OnX, there's a little T-shaped 4 sections that's Type 2 (Beaverpond Holdings LLC); other than that, pretty much the entire district is Sieben or Chevalier, both Type 1 that don't even require signing in at a box. They're closed for spring bear/turkey but I see trucks parked off the interstate all the time in the spring, so either they give permission or people trespass regularly.

I once called one of the type 2 bma in region 5 for permission when I saw a 90” goat while scouting 600 yards off the road the day before you were supposed to call. When I called the next morning they said they were booked. That lope had been hanging between that bma and a neighboring private section that bordered state so I thought wth. Spent the first 9 days of the season going to that spot waiting for that bastard to come on to the state. From the vantage point on the state I could see him every time down there in that pasture on that bma. Never saw a hunter. They musta been after the 100”’ers

Back