Minn Kota Terrova Review

DRAFTSTUD

I spent a few coins and upgraded my boat's Trolling motor from 24v 70# foot controlled to a 24v 80# Minn Kota Terrova with I-Pilot Link with Sonar. I linked it into my Humminbird 1199si. This TM comes with a Low Profile Foot Control, but we used the Hand held remote that have a Digital screen to watch and control the functions of your TM and waypoints off the Fish Finder. Travo (son) got back from hunting to help me try it out on a local lake, Wow! We got a lot to learn we found out, but we did pretty good on getting up to speed.
Yesterday we took the boat up to Lake O Pines out of Jefferson, Tx. where the Crappie were starting to gang up and we thought that would be a great place to start our learning curve. The Lake is very deep and as we motored slowly out to the Armada already there we watched the screen, when we saw the baitfish with crappie nearby or under the baitfish we moved the curser on the Fishfinder to where we wanted to be and told the TM to take up there, Boom! When we arrived it would Beep and we pushed the Anchor Button and it would hold us in that location. We were basically using a drifting method and when the wind died we set a course with the TM and set the speed at 1. There are like 1 though 10 levels when using the remote, this is how we caught most of our fish.
I can't wait to try this out on Lake Tawakkoni for big cats and Hybrid Stripers. John

I have the 36 volt version and love it! I do not have it linked to my hummingbird Si units but I use the anchor/spot lock feature a lot. We can cruise the shallows and look for walleyes off to the side, when we spot them we let the boat drift back a little and hit the anchor mode and start casting. Wear that school out, move forward, find more fish, spot lock again. It has eliminated the need for an anchor. We have held with the bow into the wind in BIG whitecaps that almost crash over the front and just keep casting. Can't say enough good things about that feature, it has made life easier in many applications. Even vertical jigging for perch we just move around and "anchor" with the trolling motor instead of a back breaking 30 lb. navy anchor. Glad you are enjoying your early Christmas gift!

I've wanted one for awhile but it's hard to pony up the money whie I still have a good working unit on the bow of the S.S.magnet.

I invested in one this past spring. WOW is all that i have to say. It has been a game changer. I can now set 1.5 mile track and fish hands free. Yes there expensive but they make running a break line simple and consistant.

My boat is an Xpress XP200 Catfish Edition with a Large Rod holder across the back with 2 pedestal seats and 4 places to put out rods. Sitting back there and reading the Fish Finder and remotely controlling the boat is great. Most of my other boats drifted sideways, this one drifts like it is under power, a real fishing machine. John
picture.php

Last edited:
Welcome to the club!

You're going to love that thing, money well spent. I've had mine for two seasons and it's awesome.

Back