Minimum Age for Points

nhn2a

Does anyone know what the minimum age is to put in for preference points in CO? My son is 4 and I was curious if I could start building preference points for him for Elk and Deer so we could go on some nice hunts together when he is older.

As per the CO regs, 11 as long as he will turn 12 by Dec 31st of the application year.

Thank you! I guess I was just being hopeful. Does anyone know if any of the other states allow you to build preference points at a young age?

Thank you! I guess I was just being hopeful. Does anyone know if any of the other states allow you to build preference points at a young age?

Not that I'm aware of. Most are about like was stated by our other member, including Wyoming where I hunt every year.

Thanks Oak, I have a better sense on both sides of this issue.
As a father and Grandfather we want to get the young ones out as soon as possible.

Here in Pa. We are allowed to take our children under our mentored program out as soon as we think they can handle a hunting situation. All you need is to purchase is a permit for 7 - 11 years of age. Under 7 you still have to purchase a permit but you do not get a big game tag (turkey or deer) with that permit. You may transfer your own turkey or deer tag to the youth under 7. Hope all that makes sense.

Thanks Oak! That was a great thread and I'm not sure how I missed it the first time around. Although I can see the argument that if kids can put in for draws early then it would not benefit them because all kids would put in.

The argument I don't agree with is the entitlement issue. I guess I could see that some parents would want to do this so there children could start on a trophy hunt but that becomes more of a parenting issue than one that should be regulated in the point system. For me, the goal is not for my son to get to do a trophy hunt as his first hunt. He will grow up here on the east coast killing lots of meat deer and hoping to see the occasional 6 or 8pt which would be a trophy for us. My hope was that if I could put him in for points now along with me just now starting to put in for points, that we could both build points together so that one day maybe 10-15 years down the line, we could both go on a great trophy hunt together.

Ultimately everyone has an opinion on the matter so not trying to stir the pot again. You guys answered my question and pointed me in the right direction so thank you for that!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back