PEAX Equipment

Mike Eastmans' Mule Deer Hunting Tactics

jlmatthew

My wife gave me this book for a Christmas present and I'll read it, but I had a great little chuckle in the beginning with the section about the author. You just have to be an arrogant SOB to write a book and your first sentence states "Mike Eastman is a living legend in the hunting world" :rolleyes:

Not very modest is he LOL!!! :D:p

He may be cocky, but as a total newbie to the thought of mule deer hunting, I was actually considering buying the book also. I have a lot to learn, and think that I can certainly learn from everyone, ego or not :) Let me know what you think of the book please JLM,. you can PM me anytime. Ready to learn anyway I can!

David Long's book is better. Have read them both and David's is more comprehensive.

Its even worse if you read their magazines. It'll make you throw up how much they push his books, especially the "Holiday Gift Guide."

Mule Deer hunting by Mike Eastman.

Chapter 1: Look for tangs while you rack bracket

Chapter 2: Selecting the right outfitter

Chapter 3: How to find the perfect deer lease

Chapter 4: How to convince people that you hunt on accessible public land, even though you never have

Chapter 5: How to take over someone elses deer area/letting others do your work

Chapter 6: Laugh all the way to the bank...and next deer lease.

THE END

Mule Deer hunting by Mike Eastman.

Chapter 1: Look for tangs while you rack bracket

Chapter 2: Selecting the right outfitter

Chapter 3: How to find the perfect deer lease

Chapter 4: How to convince people that you hunt on accessible public land, even though you never have

Chapter 5: How to take over someone elses deer area/letting others do your work

Chapter 6: Laugh all the way to the bank...and next deer lease.

THE END

You're just jealous.

You forgot
Chapter 7: "No Fences Here, except for all those on the ranches we hunt"
Chapter 8: Backpacking esentials from K-Mart.

What I wouldn't give to have hunted mulies in the 60's and 70's and even 80's around Jackson Hole............
Even Mikie could find a good one every now and then.

I'd really like to know the last time he killed a deer or elk on public land DIY. I'm thinking the mid to late 80's but don't know for sure. Quit subscribing to the magazine over 10 years ago. My wife finally found my secret stash hidden between the bed mattresses and threw them out so I can't even go back to verify if he ever killed anything on public..............
-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Going to agree with David Long's book. Can't hide the fact that he's actually hunting some rugged high country.

Muskeez - there are a few on here that if you could pick their brains about mule deer would be more valuable than any book. Pretty sure it would be stroking some egos but nevertheless I would love to go muley hunting with BreaksRunner to start with. I was young when he was hunting around these parts and saw his truck many times but would of been fun to get his insight on some of those hunts we were doing.

My line of thinking is that you can always learn something from any hunting article, DVD or hunting book, so from cover to cover i read all the Western hunting magazines i subscribe to and hunting books that i buy and i do sit through all the hunting dvd's i have even though some may seem repetitive.

One comment i always grimace a little at is when i read the 'how to kill trophy bucks or bulls' type articles and the author states when you find that 'trophy bull or buck' you must watch and learn all his habits, bedding, feeding, watering etc etc and then when everything is perfect plan your perfect stalk, followed by a perfect shot and isn't it good we all live in a perfect world type deal...well i firmly believe if you got your act together at least 80% of any animals found anywhere are killable straight off the bat from when you located them (more so for the rifle hunters) and if he is simply too far away in big steep country to do something about it right then, or about to step into heavy timber then you should be able to get it done either that evening or at daybreak the next morning...this whole waiting and watching for days on end until the stars line up i think creates uncertainty for many hunters (except for possibly bowhunters in certain situations) and doesn't help their confidence that they can get it done anywhere anytime..

this whole waiting and watching for days on end until the stars line up i think creates uncertainty for many hunters (except for possibly bowhunters in certain situations) and doesn't help their confidence that they can get it done anywhere anytime..

This is how you know he's hunting on a private spot and not Joe Forest Service land. 99% like you said hike into an area and lets say we may overnight it for 4 days up there and that's it. You'll take the animal or not. There is none of this hike in and out each day glassing them and patterning them for weeks. That type of comment just confirmed that it is being done in some easily accessed country.
The only acception i can think of is what Greenhorn did on the "once in a lifetime" type goat hunt. Not happening all that often with the rest of us including Mr. Eastman.

This is how you know he's hunting on a private spot and not Joe Forest Service land. 99% like you said hike into an area and lets say we may overnight it for 4 days up there and that's it. You'll take the animal or not. There is none of this hike in and out each day glassing them and patterning them for weeks. That type of comment just confirmed that it is being done in some easily accessed country.
The only acception i can think of is what Greenhorn did on the "once in a lifetime" type goat hunt. Not happening all that often with the rest of us including Mr. Eastman.

Yeah i agree, most of the time here in the SP the animal are hunted 12 months of the year, they aren't relaxed and if you bump them once its generally game over, you either get real good at killing chit or you get good at taking scenery pictures on your hiking trips with the bang stick in hand..

I spent a few years in your big hills guiding when i was a young lad and i have to admit the animals and general thought process involved with hunting and getting it done was very different to back home. A good learning experience of course, but certainly different mindset with most of the hunters.

Reading this forum i can see there are plenty of guys here though that have the drive to get it done and that is why i enjoy posting and reading threads.

I was considering ordering these books are they not worth it? The mule deer,elk,and the antelope one he wrote supposedly

I've read two of them and they were exactly the same just different animals IMO maybe the scoring the tangs was a little different so if your interested in that you could get them all

The best one LOL!

And dont forget that however you go about harvesting your deer, you did it the "Eastman Way!"

Just wish I could afford to do it the "No Fences, Eastmans' Way" on the Hill Ranch like they do :rolleyes:

I probably shouldnt be so tough on Mike Eastman.

I guess what bothers me is the preaching about public land DIY in his magazine, then leasing and going guided on a majority of his hunts. Theres no denying their success...in this day and age its all about pay to play if you want the best opportunities to hunt. Whether that be leasing, buying landowner tags, going guided, etc.

Its a tough deal sticking to public land hunting on general tags or easy to draw tags while hunting on your own. Fighting terrible draw odds for the best public land units isnt much fun either.

I dont blame them for going the route they do...I just wish they'd be a little more honest with their message.

He may be cocky, but as a total newbie to the thought of mule deer hunting, I was actually considering buying the book also. I have a lot to learn, and think that I can certainly learn from everyone, ego or not :) Let me know what you think of the book please JLM,. you can PM me anytime. Ready to learn anyway I can!

If you are new to mule deer then get a used copy and read it but most of the useful material is common sense to anyone who has hunted them for a few years. The rest is outdated crap. They are one of the best at what they do (convince people they hunt hard DIY) you can't argue with that.

Back