Marlin SBL 45-70

MThuntr

I had intended on buying a Howa Mountain Rifle in 308 but found a rifle I had always wanted on accident...The Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70. Scheels in Omaha, NE had not 1, not 2, but 3 in stock and on clearance ($200 lower than any online dealer). I fiddled with them all and bought best one. I have a few big chunks of dark timber that this rifle should be the ticket for. My brother-in-law has a few pigs in Texas that I'd like to shoot too. Now if I could only find some H4198 I'd be in business.

Unfortunately ever since Remington took over production, quality control is not up to par and this one is no exception. It definitely needed some more polishing and smoothing of parts but it will improve with shooting.

Attachments

• zoom_1895sbl.jpg
    zoom_1895sbl.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 641
Sweet grab! I've been trying to find a GBL for my old man with no luck. I'm hesitant to order one with all the QC issues, and the stores here in town stopped carrying them for the same reasons. Shame to have such a solid company ran in to the ground like that.

Pawn shops, gun shows and auctions. I like the auctions best because you can get a good deal on a nice gun (although you always don't have time to look it over, so there is a little risk there). My brother has a guide gun (bought late 90's) and I have a 1980's build of a .444 Marlin.

They are fun to shoot and accurate.

That wider loop on the SBL looks nice - I bet the gun handles very well.

I have the blued version, it takes a little TLC to get the action smooth, but a good rifle.

Any tips to smooth things up? My old Marlin 336 is as smooth as glass compared to this one.

The wider loop and trigger guard will help with gloves. My 336's lever is too small for my hands when I wear gloves. I did manage to track down a box of ammo so I'm gonna shoot it this afternoon.

Last edited:
I have one of the blued guide guns in .45-70

I love owning the rifle for the "cool" factor, but haven't figured out exactly what I bought it for.

Nice! I have the blued guide gun bought about 10 years ago. Reloading really makes the old 45/70 really sing! I use mine for black bear here in the thick stuff.

It will be a helluva timber elk rifle, I use steel wool to polish the actions up on my lever guns, seems to work well.

Santa got me a Marlin 1895 Cowboy 45-70 this year. UNFIRED! Guess I was a good boy.

Marlin_zps1a9942bd.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back