Looking to shoot my first bull elk MT

Levajo

I have been doing research on different online forums and turning through the pages of the 2018 MT regs book while highlighting units on a map and looking at aerial footage on onX maps. I will be a student at MSU this fall looking to major in fish and wildlife management. I bought a kuiu tent and am wanting to hike into an area to set up camp. The areas i have picked out to do a 4 or 5 day hunt are units 455, 449, and 370. All of these places are under a 2 hour drive from Bozeman and I plan to scout them all come august and hopefully have an idea of where a few decent bulls might be come opener of archery. I picked these areas because they seemed to have somewhat harder access points and are smaller units that may be overlooked by a lot of the out of state guys coming in. Of all the places i research online it seems there's always people who have negative comments about each place i get my hopes up for. Such as wolves, grizzlies, hard to access, road hunters, motorized traffic, horses and bikers etc. From where i am from and how i was raised into hunting is to not believe anything from anyone until you scout it yourself. Looking at the public land in MT is very intimidating for that motto and i have come to realize most of the hunters out here are not full of lies to steer college newbies in the wrong direction.

I have killed over 35 white tails with my bow and would like to consider myself a somewhat seasoned bowhunter but after spending last season chasing cow elk in 311 with my bow and coming up empty handed i quickly learned elk are a whole new level of challenging with a bow.

In 455 ive read its "a waste of time without horses or a bike." in 449 I read its "too much effort for not enough elk sightings." and in 370 i have read different reviews saying "Too many road hunters or access is impossible."

In IL if you were to call 10 land owners and get access from 1 that would be considered a huge success. Last winter i contacted or attempted to contact close to 17 to 19 different ranches and landowners using the onxmaps and whitepages online to find out where ppl lived to knock on doors and called and left voicemails etc. I finally was successful but it took me til jan5 to harvest my first elk in 311.

That being said i am not afraid to work for my elk and right now im personally leaning on 370 of being the best of the 3. Anyone have a vote thats different? Or has anyone even stepped foot in all 3 units to be able to give an accurate opinion? Thanks for any input

In my experience 370 (particularly the north end) is pretty dependent on weather pushing those bulls around and into the unit. And, unit wide the checkerboard situation is pretty maddening, particularly since there are outfitters who are set up in some of those private spots that adjoin public. Wherever you go, good luck.

Not to heap on bad news, but this needs to be said so that you know before you go: 455, while an awesome place to hunt, is tough in the archery season because it’s mostly wintering ground. If you get some storms and some snow, it can be great. And sometimes there are elk in there in September. But, generally speaking, it’s much better elk hunting if snow stacks up in the higher elevations. It’s a cool place and you’ll have fun. But just understand that in Sep it can be hit or miss. 455 is a great unit though. And, who knows, they might be in there. If the roads are bare, a bike does help but it’s not mandatory. Most of the walking isn’t bad.... two-tracks roads and such. But if the elk aren’t that low yet, then it’ll be tough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's guys! I'm on a quest to find an overlooked place but it seems like these 2 units may not be it!

Unfortunately, you are 25 years too late to find an "overlooked unit". Get out and hunt, enjoy the experience!

I really don't have experience in the areas that your looking at, but I can tell you that the best way to find elk, and elk rutting sign is to put your boots on the ground in those areas and do as much scouting as possible. Of course areas of higher elk concentration and habitat they like is a plus. Good luck!

I could give a little insight on 449 if you want to PM. I have spent some time up there. I sometimes hunt the border between it and 452. You will see a shite load of vehicles on the roads but all those roads seem to keep people in their vehicles. ;) Pretty much zero road hunting in 452 up top.....

I wouldnt drive from Bozeman to hunt 452 though...maybe thats just me...thats like passing on beef filet for a pork chop haha

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wowzers
Back