Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

long range gunwerks

junior88

anyone watch this show last night on Pursuit? the hunter shot a 400 AZ bull from 450 yds with a muzzle loader. dropped him with a single shot. when in the hell did muzzle loaders become long range weapons? I'm pretty sure that was a gunwerks muzzle loader. anyway, the bull was ridiculous. Browtines looked like baseball bats.

I don't watch any of the long range hunting shows at all. As a matter of fact I find myself watching less and less tv hunting shows.
Game departments need to start classifying muzzle loader seasons as primitive weapon seasons.
A 450yard muzzle loader should only be permitted during rifle season.

What's next? A 500-yard "archery" kill from a laser calibrated, hydrogen powered, carbon fiber catapult?

What's next? A 500-yard "archery" kill from a laser calibrated, hydrogen powered, carbon fiber catapult?
... with phosphorescent lighted nock, heat seeking broadhead, downed animal locator chip, and on-board chronograph and mini-cam recorder.

I know that the sarcasm is thick here, but the idea of a locator chip embedded in an arrow shaft is pretty dang slick if you think about it. Anything that aids recovery would be good, new tech in my book. As for long range...i guess im getting older...used to be fine with it...less so these days.

Using that type of muzzleloader (500 yards) is justification to do away with a separate muzzleloader season. A lot of legitimate hunters could pay the price.

As stated above, a locater chip in an arrow is really a good idea. Do not know if it is legal. If 10 % of wounded animals could be found that would have been lost;, it is worth it!

As stated above, a locater chip in an arrow is really a good idea. Do not know if it is legal. If 10 % of wounded animals could be found that would have been lost;, it is worth it!

No shot? That's OK, stick him in the ass, we can find him.:D

mtmiller.

Good point. I had not thought about that aspect. Tend to give hunters a little more credit. But as with life, there will always be a small percent that will not be the ideal and will take the short cuts.

The sickest moment any hunter can have is the mortally wound an animal and then lose him , cannot find the carcass. That is where my thoughts were coming from.

Last edited:
Sure a locator chip would work for some instances but I would prefer to not need it. I like pass through.

There are guys building muzzy's that use smokeless powder. They have been around a while.

I have hunted with muzzy's here in Iowa for 10 years. Even with factory equipment, using 777 pellets and Hornady bullets I have said the only difference between a muzzy and a rifle for me was having one shot. They have been really accurate for a long time.

I cant shoot much over 150 yards on most my spots anyway.

I love the different turns threads can take. having said that, if muzzle loaders are becoming that much more effective, maybe they can only be used in the general season. or maybe just the in line muzzle loaders. I honestly don't know. just thinkin out loud

The problem is not the muzzleloader per say, but the fact in some states you can mount a scope and in some you cannot. If you can't mount a scope to it, then my guess is most of these people would not attempt 400 yard shots.

At 450 yards that is ~80"+ that you have to hold above the target.

That is an impressive shot at paper at the shooting range, but an extremely unethical shot at a big game animal.

There are guys building muzzy's that use smokeless powder. They have been around a while.

There's a guy in Montana :eek: that builds them. My friend has one. Ridiculous accurate and very fun to shoot - at paper!! Less than MOA at 400+
It's a bench gun and not something you enjoy carrying to the bench, let alone out to hunt with...

There's a guy in Montana :eek: that builds them. My friend has one. Ridiculous accurate and very fun to shoot - at paper!! Less than MOA at 400+
It's a bench gun and not something you enjoy carrying to the bench, let alone out to hunt with...

There is a guy here that builds them on Rem 700 actions. I haven't shot them so I am not sure how accurate they are but I do know from looking at them they are hunters.

That is an impressive shot at paper at the shooting range, but an extremely unethical shot at a big game animal.
Adjustable sights to correct for elevation have been around longer than smokeless powder...

My friend shoots 325 gr with .453 BC @ 2800 fps MV zeroed at 250 yds = 27.58" drop at 450 yds.

Disclaimer: I am not saying this makes it OK to shoot game with. And I agree that they are far from being a 'primitive weapon'.
Just very accurate and fun to play with and shoot at any distance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back