NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Leadville, Co. suggestions

Elkoholic

Anyone with any first hand suggestions for camping & fishing in the Leadville Co. Area? Feeling the need for the mountains and to get in some fishing along with some hikes and relaxation, I'll be bringing my dog with me as well. I've never visited this area of Co., did a little research with Twin lakes and Torquoise lake catching my eye, would like to avoid the crowds if possible. Plan to be there June 27th - July 3rd.

I have camped and fished a bit closer to Aspen but is an easy drive from Leadville. On the main road from Leadville to Aspen, there will be a gravel road that heads south called "Lincoln Creek Road" that is rough but I saw Subarus making it back when the road was dry. Takes about an hour to get back to Grizzly Reservoir. Not sure of the crowds in July but we were able to put up a wall tent at one of the camp sites next to the latrines at Grizzly Reservoir which has trout. Three other lakes you can reach to fish with a day hike to each. Not a lot of wildlife there but should bump into a few critters on the hikes.

That's my elk spot. Can't help you on the fishing but there's a fly shop or two in Leadville that may be able to direct you.

There's a really cool trail on the south side of the Twin Lakes. There's a cool old homestead that is a historic mark, maintained but not lived in that makes a great place for a nap or lunch. Stumbled onto it coming off the mounting one hunt. Not many travel there. There are other trails south of Twin lakes that don't get much traffic but are breathtaking in more ways than one.

I drove through there once and there was a bunch of dread heads and sandal wearing freaks and a bunch of coffee shops. I stopped for gas and got the hell out of there before I got lice. :D It figures you'd come out when I won't be around.

Most of the established campgrounds in the area will be booked solid. There are a couple that save a few sites for first come first serve. You'd need to be there Thursday or EARLY Friday to get one. Otherwise you're basically camping anywhere you can pull a vehicle off a forest road or him into. That being said. If you get a spot....there are A MILLION places to fish or hike or get away from people. Since you're getting there on a weekend you could crash a Leadville Super 8 til Monday. Then have little competition for the first come first serve sites at campgrounds like N Halfmoon Creek. Dolly Varden. Molly Brown. Queens View? (Can't remember but it's on the NW side of Turqouise lake.). If you're putting a backpack on my rec's change dramatically!

I drove through there once and there was a bunch of dread heads and sandal wearing freaks and a bunch of coffee shops. I stopped for gas and got the hell out of there before I got lice. :D It figures you'd come out when I won't be around.

Well, John!!! You wear sandals lope hunting and can't live without coffee.....sounds like your kind of place.:hump:

Anyone with any first hand suggestions for camping & fishing in the Leadville Co. Area? Feeling the need for the mountains and to get in some fishing along with some hikes and relaxation, I'll be bringing my dog with me as well. I've never visited this area of Co., did a little research with Twin lakes and Torquoise lake catching my eye, would like to avoid the crowds if possible. Plan to be there June 27th - July 3rd.

You may want to check out Antero Res, it would be a good day trip from Leadville. Plenty of big browns,rainbows and cutbows swimming in that water.

Thanks for the feedback guys, some useful info.

You may want to check out Antero Res, it would be a good day trip from Leadville. Plenty of big browns,rainbows and cutbows swimming in that water.

Big Slick - I did a quick google search on Antero res. and found it closed June 1st 2015 due to it being drained this summer.

John - where you going to be at that time? That'll be twice now me passing through & not able to meet up.

Thanks for the feedback guys, some useful info.

Big Slick - I did a quick google search on Antero res. and found it closed June 1st 2015 due to it being drained this summer.

John - where you going to be at that time? That'll be twice now me passing through & not able to meet up.

That is a bummer since that is one of the best Lakes in the state for growing big trout....quickly!

I might be in Oklahoma picking my son up for the summer...but I might be home. Last time we couldn't meet up was your fault...lol I offered you a bed and shower and wife's cooking and you blew me off :D

I Last time we couldn't meet up was your fault...lol I offered you a bed and shower and wife's cooking and you blew me off :D

Damn, you remembered. You're right but after 3weeks in the elk woods & heading home I was on a mission. Next time throw in some beers and I'll take you up on the offer :D

I have hunted elk in Leadville for the last 10 years, not going this year :(

Lots of good areas to camp of half-moon creek road. If you hike up Mt. Massive, old miners cabins and a great view of Turquoise lake. The Leadville fish hatchery is just outside of town.

Stay hydrated, Mt. Massive is one of the 14er's and Leadville is at 10,000 feet.

Have a great time. Stop in town at Quincy's for a steak. They only serve filets on Monday - Thursday's and Prime rib Fri, Sat and Sunday's. Nothing else on the menu, really...nothing else is served.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back