Kodiak - Raspberry Island - Getting to know the place

I'm on the fence about going up next fall for a moose. With a moose hunt that popped up this fall, I might end up pushing my own moose hunt back a year. But it would make sense to apply that year if I already have the hunting license. A $5 application fee isn't so bad, but a $160 hunting license isn't as cool.
Most of the moose draws are about "easy" access more so than quality. The exception would be the Nowitna and Koyukuk river areas. Again though its just about limited the amount of hunters that head in there but its not easy access by any means.

Most of the moose draws are about "easy" access more so than quality. The exception would be the Nowitna and Koyukuk river areas. Again though its just about limited the amount of hunters that head in there but its not easy access by any means.
I will do what it takes to get away from people! I have some family up there that will help me out. I'm game for a raft/boat in area. Also would prefer to do an archery hunt. That should keep hunter numbers down too.

I drew this tag for 2024. I would like to know what transporter you used. I have found multiple options, but if you had success with yours, that would help me make a decision.

thanks again

luke

Congrats Luke,

Raspberry remote lodge is who I will be going with if we are ever lucky enough to draw again. We had a great experience up there but did not get an elk down, we where in Onion Bay and the elk we're mostly all on that very northwest corner of the island except for a few satellites. So if you can get a hold of birch and set up your base camp over on the raspberry straight more towards the north/ north west part of the island you should be in good shape.
PM me if there is anything else. Like I said we did not get one but we learned a lot and are still applying. We where first time elk hunters so we had a hell of a crash course lol.

No doubt everyone recommends Birch and I'm sure based on that he runs a top notch outfit. However, starting every day from the beach and returning at dark everyday is a fools move. Once you step foot on that island you will easily see why. The logistics of getting all 400# plus of elk off the island down to the beach also is very challenging, so make sure you are considering having at least two people to go with you to help if going the beach/boat route

Birch also does just transport if you are thinking of doing it "on your own" and as Seeth said if you are doing the spike out thing try to get up to about 800-1000 ft to set up ypur base camp. But you should get set up so you can pm me I have some other info I'm happy to share with you as far as some local contacts and stuff that may be helpful if you are interested.

@nocturnalsuicide
You really don't want to be climbing much every day in this terrain, especially if you aren't mountain conditioned. 0.5mph is a solid hiking pace around those parts. You need at least 1 rock solid companion, and preferably 3 of them. You can definitely die on a hunt like this, from exposure, bears, and falls.

Do not underestimate this hunt. To be successful, it will become the hardest hunt you've ever done.

You can't fly into the high country. The whole island is 8' tall raspberry bushes and brush also you are ether going up or down with nearly every step lol. Bluffgruff is 100% correct, we had 5 on our crew last year and lost 2 days of hunting because the tag holder threw out his back getting a fire going at camp and he was the one in the best shape of all of us. A guy died on afognak this past year on his elk hunt with his son, we watched the planes and choppers flying over and knew something bad happened, I'm sure Seeth saw it also as he was on the ridge across from us. So yes be ready for hard work and get your camp as high up as you can so you are only climbing 4-500 ft to your glassing points. In our experience this past year the bushes thin out a little and you get a bit more grass and easier hiking around 1000 ft elevation.

IMG_7911.png
Need to put this one in the tailgate thread. Was going back through my photo albums and found this gem. Circa 2001/2002. Can’t really remember for sure. And it wasn’t Raspberry, it was Afognak proper. This was a fun, laid back hunt. Actually stumbled across this stud raghorn by accident. We had to shush the 7 and 8 year old boys for fear of spooking this one. Loaded whole with a dripping tailgate.

Died of an "embolism."

Yeah his son was with him it was a heart attack. We where talking to another guy who watched the whole thing through his spotting scope then went over and was talking to the guys son. It's a terrible thing and really brings the remoteness into perspective.

I'm flying in. I have been elk hunting in the states for years. I hope to have 4 people. I have hunted POW a lot for sitka blacktail. Crampons required to hike that alpine. Beautiful, but an absolute jungle. Who flew you in Seeth?

How wet was was the terrain? I'm comparing it to POW. POW is soaking wet 100 percent of the time. Nothing will burn. Were the bottom lands all marshy?

I chartered a boat to drop me off at a beach as it gave me more flexibility in where I could go. All of the plane transporters I interviewed would only guarantee a landing and pick up in Onion Bay. Since that is where everyone typically goes for this hunt, I didn't like that option.

It is somewhat similar to POW except there isn't nearly as much dark timber. Therefore it has quite a bit thicker vegetation that POW. Its a wet jungle and starting a fire is extremely difficult. Yes, any flat bottom area is extremely wet, we got soaked feet every time we ventured down into a valley.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back