Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

"Killing Animals Helped Me Make Peace With Death" by Nicole Qualtieri

Dougfirtree

I just read this piece by Nicole Qualtieri:

https://thewestrn.substack.com/p/killing-animals-helped-me-make-peace?utm_source=/browse/literature&utm_medium=reader2

Pretty interesting stuff; some great writing and some good (and some challenging) observations. The things that really stuck out for me were:

1. The central idea; that hunting can help you to see death differently. I can relate to this. I feel like I'm constantly struck by how negative people's view of death is. Like each death is a little evil, whether it's a human, or some other animal. As a hunter, it's hard for me to see things that way.

2. Her challenge to the idea that 'hunting is conservation.' I think my own opinion would be that hunting is conservation, but that for too many hunters, that's incidental. Interesting topic and one of the places I think we can do better.

3. Her own personal healing of her father's death and the unique way in which hunting helped that.

In any case, throwing it up here in case others would like to read.

Last edited:
1. The central idea; that hunting can help you to see death differently. I can relate to this. I feel like I'm constantly struck by how negative people's view of death is. Like each death is a little evil, whether it's a human, or some other animal. As a hunter, it's hard for me to see things that way.

So if a put a stranger puts a gun to your head in a dark alley, and cocks the hammer, you'll be okay with that, not a negative thought to be had?

So if a put a stranger puts a gun to your head in a dark alley, and cocks the hammer, you'll be okay with that, not a negative thought to be had?
Now you’re getting all metaphysical and stuff. Death is a natural thing, I personally believe that my life will not end here because of my spiritual beliefs in Jesus Christ. How that death occurs is out of my hands at the end of the day.

I do not fear death, I fear being paralyzed or destined to a wheel chair, I fear leaving my wife and daughters without their dad and husband.

In your hypothetical question I would do my best to get out of the situation by talking or fighting, but wouldn’t just roll over and take it.

Any day could be your last, an alley encounter, a car accident, or an immediate health problem. The mindset and belief about your true purpose in life are fundamental and differ for everyone. Fear is powerful and will limit your true potential.

Calculated risk.

None of us get out of here alive. Some of us never do much more than work, eat and sleep with hardly anyone thinking of us even a year after we pass. Others will be remembered by a couple of generations before fading into obscurity and that can be said that is when you are truly dead...when no one thinks of you anymore.

I am quite selfish. Not proud of it but have come to terms with this trait. I can spend days alone in the wilderness without feeling lonely. My kids and grandkids get a kick out of my observations and word play plus some dad jokes. My goal, knowing I am selfish, is to not create chaos in the lives of my family. I feel I have done a great job of this and am okay when no one recalls me.

I don't think there's anything weird, or wrong about seeing your own death, or the death of a loved one as a bad thing. That's how we're programmed. But, I think it's a problematic extension of that, to think that the death of everything is bad. So many people seem to think that every individual has a right to live and that's just not the truth of this beautiful world that we all know and love so much. I run into this all the time talking with non-hunters about hunting and about other wildlife-related issues.

I don't think there's anything weird, or wrong about seeing your own death, or the death of a loved one as a bad thing.
I agree. Mostly. What if you knew a loved one was going to die. But then you also know the day it would happen. To the time of day almost. For a month beforehand. It can become a bad thing. mtmuley

Good article. I lost my father suddenly a few years ago so it resonated with me. Anyone working in Hospice like I do better be comfortable with death or they're not lasting long. But I'll never get used to a 7 year old with Leukemia or a mom of 3 in her 30s with terminal Pancreatic cancer. Might be natural and part of the circle of life but it's pretty soul crushing some day's.

Last edited:
FFS its took me along time to get through that one.

Being on the opposite end of the spectrum, Killed plenty, lived a pretty tragedy free life. Then 2 years ago, held my moms hand while the lights went out for good. I wondered then at that very minute if I could hunt again. I've only killed 3 things since and each one was rough.

I really liked the piece. Gonzo meets hunting. Beat me up solid.

Last edited:
If once you hit middle age, “Memento Mori” isn’t your moto, you may not be living your best life.

Interesting that she views death as feminine.
Not particularly, you could really think of it as an extension of Mother Nature. If I live most of my life as a married man, a chunk of that waiting on my wife, it won’t surprise me at all if a woman shows up to take me to whatever’s next after all that time.

Not particularly, you could really think of it as an extension of Mother Nature. If I live most of my life as a married man, a chunk of that waiting on my wife, it won’t surprise me at all if a woman shows up to take me to whatever’s next after all that time.
It also helps tie death to life; women being the givers of life. I think it’s appropriate and a good choice for this essay.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back