Caribou Gear

Jupiter

RobG

Any of you guys drag out the spotting scope and look at Jupiter? It is the bright star to upper left of Orion's shoulder. Tonight the moons are all in a line and I could even see the Jupiter's bands with the 50x Swaro. You can see the moons through 10x binos if nothing else.

rg

That was cool. Drug the scope out with the wife, pretended like I knew something. I'm feeling lucky now boys.

Jupiter(the dog) likes turtlenecks and tries to eat his own poop...

4D07D305-4D3D-4017-998E-F7DED6FB8DD7.jpg

I can see you petting that pooch of yours dressed up, & giving kisses on your recliner there dustinf?

I only let them kiss me after they eat the poop.

When I was in 6th grade my buddy and I both had paperroutes. We were at the shack stuffing in the daily advertisements when nature called. So my buddy goes to drop a deuce and his maltese follows him and scarfs down his dump. As soon as we get done laughing another kid with a paper route shows up to get his papers, gets all excited to see the dog and let's the dog lick his face.

Highly, highly entertaining moment for a 12 year old.

Any of you guys drag out the spotting scope and look at Jupiter? It is the bright star to upper left of Orion's shoulder. Tonight the moons are all in a line and I could even see the Jupiter's bands with the 50x Swaro. You can see the moons through 10x binos if nothing else.

rg

Will is be good to look at tonight too? I dont follow astronomy so I have no clue if it is a daily event.

Will is be good to look at tonight too? I dont follow astronomy so I have no clue if it is a daily event.
I've been watching it for a few years during hunting season so it isn't going away soon ;) It should get better each night for the next few weeks since the moon rises later each night. 2-3 hours after sunset is about right - later and it is pretty high overhead and hard to position my scope (and myself) to see it.

I guess Saturn is out before sunrise - I might have to try and spot it.

Thanks for the heads up. My 7 year old son thought it was pretty cool. He can't wait to tell his first grade teacher on Monday about it. We could clearly see 4 moons and 2 dark rings. Not sure if they are always lined up like they were tonight but the rings and moons were pretty closely lined up.

Tried to mess around getting a picture through the scope, but it ain't happening with my iPhone. I have a digiscoping setup for it but never have played with it enough to think I could get a picture in the dark.

Pretty neat.

Wow I just took a look and BAM!! There is was with the moons all in a line! What I found interesting is the moons were in the same line as the rings on the surface were. If there is novices out like me who have no clue were to look, download the free smartphone app called google sky. Just hold your phone up and move around and it will show you what your pointing at.

Glad you guys are having fun with this... I might have to catch Saturn this morning.

Nothing but clouds this morning.

Is there a time of year where Saturn is viewable in more convenient times? I left my spotter out but never had to wake up for my mid night pee. I guess I did not drink enough beer last night.

My favorite hunting companion is back :)

Before dawn look up at Orion and note the two "shoulder" stars. They point to Jupiter right now, which is the bright object about 5 shoulder widths to the left. You can see it ok in town on a clear night, but remember to take a peak at it with your optics on your walk into those back country elk. Stars are nice to look at, but for some reason hiking in wild country before dawn and seeing the moons of Jupiter all in the same plane makes the universe real for me.

Ps
I'm on your side, ask my wife about how redonkulous she thinks it is when I tell her to look at the stars on a whim while outside....

Back