Iowa SF255 NR tags going to outfitters.

Classic "if you have nothing to hide, why won't you let me search" tactic.

Violator or not, if you accuse someone of something nefarious, and aren't strong enough to back it with your name, that should be judged against your credibility regarding the statement.
BS...many times it's a family member that has had it with a POS poacher and turns them in. Sometimes it's a friend that gets tired of it.

Makes such instances much more likely to have a violation reported if it can be done so anonymously.

Here are my quick thoughts on these bills.

Hf2086 Nuisance animals
This is so ripe for abuse. I am sure that it is intended for raccoons, opossums, and skunks eating your dog food on the porch. But I can see people shooting deer in their yard in September. In my experience if you have a raccoon or opossum that is causing havoc around your home a quick call to your local C.O. and they will understand.

My email to the subcommittee:
[] resident opposed. The bill is far too broad. We don’t need every rural resident shooting every imaginable wild animal in their yards. Most of us county residents have neighbors, pets, and many of us have small children (I have 4 kids under the age of 7). The bill says nothing about threatened species either.

A thoughtful reply from bill sponsor Representative Dean Fisher (Tama)!
27B23AFE-8766-4943-818B-8110871C72B7.png

On Jan 24, 2024, at 8:30 AM, Fisher, Dean [LEGIS] <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for the note [],
It only applies to wild animals, not pets, and certainly not children, that's an absurd leap.
The bill specifically excludes endangered species at both the state and federal levels.
Rep. Dean Fisher

And my response…

My curtilage abuts my neighbors’ curtilage. I’m not OK with my neighbor shooting wild animals 24/7 365 with an air rifle with my children and dogs down range. Under this bill, that’s exactly what could occur every time a squirrel digs a hole in their turf.

Hard hittin
My email to the subcommittee:

A thoughtful reply from bill sponsor Representative Dean Fisher (Tama)!
View attachment 312394

And my response…

My curtilage abuts my neighbors’ curtilage. I’m not OK with my neighbor shooting wild animals 24/7 365 with an air rifle with my children and dogs down range. Under this bill, that’s exactly what could occur every time a squirrel digs a hole in their turf.
when I get a response letter like this, I just picture the senator pounding his fist on his desk, yelling PEASANTS!

The cats out of the bag. Auction every tag off to the highest bidder. Let the free market rule.
Excellent Idea! To increase value here’s how that bill will read. The tags shall be legal statewide, on private property only, all landowners with 10 or more acres have to make their land open to the tag holder, unless you are or are first of kin to present or former elected official of the state senate or House of Representatives

Excellent Idea! To increase value here’s how that bill will read. The tags shall be legal statewide, on private property only, all landowners with 10 or more acres have to make their land open to the tag holder, unless you are or are first of kin to present or former elected official of the state senate or House of Representatives

100K starting bid at WSF

@Nick87 and @Stocker can get behind this bill. $135 fine for driving in the left lane if you are not overtaking another vehicle.

@Nick87 and @Stocker can get behind this bill. $135 fine for driving in the left lane if you are not overtaking another vehicle.

Dude! To hell with the preference points I'm moving across the river!

This morning at 9:30 there was a public hearing for Ssb 3129 and its companion bill h.f. 2104. Both of these bills are aimed to limit how the DNR purchases and/or acquires land. Last year during the public hearing for similar bills a record attendance was had with some groups chartering your busses to bring concerned citizens to the hearing. This year news of the hearing got out at the last minute, probably in an attempt to stop that from happening again. Both of these bills are worded vaguely to allow for translation at a later time. But the biggest takeaways would be not allowing the DNR to purchase land at auction (very rarely happens) or in a competitive manner. Competitive manner is not defined in either of the bills. The bills go one step further and say land cannot be donated to the DNR by a nonprofit conservation group if the land was bought at auction or in a competitive manner. Neither of which terms are expanded on and left very vague.

HF 2104 will receive a subcommittee hearing on Thursday, Feb. 1, at 1:30 p.m. in the Supreme Court Room. People may attend this hearing virtually at this link (https://ialegis.webex.com/ialegis/j.php?MTID=m5f97fcddcc820c1749a5aadfd59ffef1) or join by phone at 1-408-418-9388 using Access Code: 24980980414. Comments are not permitted in this format in the House, but Representatives can be contacted by email at the addresses below. Subcommittee members are as follows:

Mommsen-CH([email protected])

Scholten ([email protected])

Sherman ([email protected])

I was not able to listen in on or attend the hearings over the last couple of days, but I got an update email this morning on the SF 2104. SF2104 did not make it out of subcomittee in the Natural Resources Committee. It is not dead yet, it is expected to be reintroduced into another committee. (I'm not sure how that works, but it reminds me of my kids. If dad says no, ask Mom. If mom says no, ask grandma) Some of the members of the committee said they were already in favor of voting no before the hearing because of feedback that they had heard from concerned constituents. Others noted they changed their minds after hearing comments at the hearing. Proof that your word is heard, and to keep writing emails and making phone calls!
SF 3129 did pass out of the subcommittee to go in front of the whole Natural Resources committee, but with amendments, mostly to the clarification of "competitive manner"

In case anyone is interested. The Natural Resource Commision meets monthly.

And also in February they recap the hunting seasons and ask for input on new legislation for next year.

Good news, SF2324 removed the “competitive means” clause from DNR acquisitions. The amended bill is far more palatable IMO. DNR can accept gifts from conservation orgs and private entities w/o having to worry about being sued.

Good news, SF2324 removed the “competitive means” clause from DNR acquisitions. The amended bill is far more palatable IMO. DNR can accept gifts from conservation orgs and private entities w/o having to worry about being sued.
Are you sure there isn't a hidden catch in there somewhere? This sounds too easy. The Republicans have been dead set against this sort of thing and democrats don't exist for all practical purposes in the Iowa political scene.

When did that get removed. I know there was a hearing yesterday, but public input was not allowed.

Your public lands for sale - Iowa Version!

SF2316 proposes authorizing the DNR to purchase tracts of land for nuclear waste storage, then requiring the agency to sell an equal number of public acres to offset the acquisition.

A convoluted equivalent to converting public land to revenue-generating property and restricting public access.

The face of America’s new public land legacy, bill sponsor Jesse Green! (Boone, Webster City, Jefferson).
D8F0462A-D504-4CF0-958D-70E3DFDDA20B.png

Your public lands for sale - Iowa Version!

SF2316 proposes authorizing the DNR to purchase tracts of land for nuclear waste storage, then requiring the agency to sell an equal number of public acres to offset the acquisition.

A convoluted equivalent to converting public land to revenue-generating property and restricting public access.

The face of America’s new public land legacy, bill sponsor Jesse Green! (Boone, Webster City, Jefferson).
View attachment 315581
Just when you think it can’t get any worse.

Are you sure there isn't a hidden catch in there somewhere? This sounds too easy. The Republicans have been dead set against this sort of thing and democrats don't exist for all practical purposes in the Iowa political scene.
🤷 Yeah, I don’t trust them either…

It is extremely evident to me how much yall are sheltered, rather...have not created yourself, insulated from the private markets

I've had to buy "offsetting wetlands" for developments that had water that......RUNS DOWNFUCKING HILL after it rains (as in-water did not exist until the rain fell out of the sky)... How many "credits" do you think are sold for/from the same 44 acre "offsetting wetland"?

Yet you jump on here whining the dnr MIGHT, MIGHT, have to do something comparable that the private citizen already deals with, IF the dnr decided to purchase land FOR nuclear waste. Being allowed vs being required to purchase
..two very different things.

Shiiiiit......talking to a bunch of bennys...yall know Benny, uncle Sam's little boy, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back