Iowa main frame 8 point

pointingdogsrule

I thought that the bucks were locked down due to the decreased activity I had been seeing ....... Until 45 minutes ago. I took a nap and woke up at 4 PM (the old 5 PM). I was being lazy and did not want to go out, however, the wind direction changed to the west. I quickly threw on my camo and went to the only stand that I could get to quickly... the stand behind my house. This is a so-so stand, however, it's easy to get to and gets me out of the house. At 400 yards I see and buck come out of the woods & enter a picked cornfield (4:30 PM). Hard to tell what he is but I rattle (I just love to play with them). No sign of him until 20 minutes later when I see him below my house at 250 yards away (with 3 does). Locked-up with does...shoot!. I rattle and he disappears, still not knowing how big he is. I look through my binos where I had last seen him and all of a sudden he appears, as big as life in my binos at 70 yards... holy crap (he snuck through the tall switchgrass)!!! He is headed my way and the rattling has worked. He goes into a small thicket at 60 yards and comes out at 25 yards (branches in the way and no clear shot). He then stops at 25 yards quartering away and I look him over..... is he big enough to shoot????? I am not totally comfortable with the shot and pass. He walks behind my stand and works a scrape. I use "the can" twice and get no response. I grab for my grunt tube and give it a blow. His head instantly goes up and he looks at me at 20 yards. I give another grunt and he comes right in from behind my tree and gives me an 8 yard, broadside shot (my stand is 30 feet above the ground). ONE PROBLEM!!!!! While pulling my bow up the tree (I suddenly notice) my 20 yard fiber optic has come out of the pin...... I only have a 30 and 40 yard pin.... Shoot!!!! My pins are fairly close so I place the 30 yard pin on the bottom of his chest and shoot. The arrow finds it's mark and he drops like a rock (spine shot). A second arrow finishes him off. Dead 7 yards from the tree.

I got down expecting to se a medium sized 8 point that had reached his prime, however, he was bigger then I expected (no ground shrinkage). Glad that I didn't pass on this guy. Nice brow times, nice bladed tines, good mass and nice tine length. Lots of what I call character. 9 points total.

good luck to all
the dog

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back