Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Insulated Layer

TWC

Interested to hear what people are using as their main insulting jacket / hoodie. It doesn't have to be waterproof as I have a separate layer for that and will be layering up underneath but looking for an insulting outer layer from when its not raining. It also doesnt have to be a hunting make / camo pattern.

Thanks in advance.

I used the first lite uncompahgre this year and it worked well for me. Put an outer shell on to help block the wind but kept me comfortable sitting in a metal blind down to mid 20s (with layers underneath) I was worried it would be too light but was pleasantly surprised. I think it will be my new go to.

Long sleeve wool (hooded or not) is my personal go to insulator/base, then a wind proof layer such as a Sitka Mt. jacket or vest. If more is needed then it's a light fleece or puffy (vest or jacket). Obviously this is Very Very dependent on season and climate.

Depending on conditions... Sitka kelvin lite hoody, a discontinued Patagonia windproof/fleece lined/soft shell jacket, or Patagonia R1 fleece + puffy vest.

down sweater, wool sweaters/shirts, berberfleece windshear, fleece vests & pullovers

I used the first lite uncompahgre this year and it worked well for me. Put an outer shell on to help block the wind but kept me comfortable sitting in a metal blind down to mid 20s (with layers underneath) I was worried it would be too light but was pleasantly surprised. I think it will be my new go to.
This plus the puffy pants is my go to. I’m skinny and I hunt cold weather. I get COLD. This plus grizzly mitts are great. Biggest considerations with insulation layer is making sure it packs down small and you can put it on over your boots. I did find it curious that I was typically warmer with the pants on vs the jacket. Of course warmest with both.

Reactions: CB1
I did find it curious that I was typically warmer with the pants on vs the jacket. Of course warmest with both.
I notice this too. It is amazing how having puffy pants can really give you a cozy feeling and boost total body warmth vs just having a puffy jacket.

I have an REI Magma 850 down jacket that rolls up into it's pocket. I think I got it on sale for just over $100. It's been a great jacket.
I have similar, a down gilet and hooded down jacket, both by RAB.
When it isn't raining, but cold I use the gilet under my SITKA Jetstream jacket but if I'm walking I soon get too hot, but it's excellent combo for sub zero temps walking/sitting

@TWC if you want to hunt unguided in Montana one day I suggest you take a look at thread relating to the outfitters 'tag grab' and email the committee.

Cheers
Richard

Reactions: TWC
Long sleeve wool (hooded or not) is my personal go to insulator/base, then a wind proof layer such as a Sitka Mt. jacket or vest. If more is needed then it's a light fleece or puffy (vest or jacket). Obviously this is Very Very dependent on season and climate.
Basically same , merino wool base , sitka , then nomad fleece if more needed when setting but first 2 is usually more then enough while moving no matter how windy or cold .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back