Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Indoor tournament draw weight

Paisano

Just curious….Im dabbling at shooting a few indoor tournaments with my hunting bow. Do folks typically turn down their draw weight for these? 60 arrows at a time is quite a bit more than I normally shoot in a practice session. Thanks!

Just curious….Im dabbling at shooting a few indoor tournaments with my hunting bow. Do folks typically turn down their draw weight for these? 60 arrows at a time is quite a bit more than I normally shoot in a practice session. Thanks!
I'd want a separate bow for that if it was the case otherwise your going to be making a lot of changes back and forth. In my honest opinion if 60 shots is too many you may want to consider lowering it for hunting as well. But I'm no experrt.

Last edited:
I used to do indoor tournaments, but just used my regular hunting bow/setup and draw weight of 55lbs. When I was shooting a lot, I ended up with a shoulder injury. It still affects me to this day and this was 7(?) years ago. I never wanted to turn my bow down because I didn’t want to mess with resighting it in before hunting season, and I didn’t have a second, separate bow.

I know others who shot their regular draw weights and did fine though.

I find it helpful to have separate equipment for target including a target quiver. I started with a hunting bow, and moved to a target bow/arrows. They weren't that much different in draw weight, but that kept the wear and tear off my hunting bow.

It isn't just about draw weight since most people can work up to being able to shoot 60 times even with hunting weight equipment.

One thing to keep in mind if you are also considering 3D for later, if you get a target bow, get one that is suitable for 3D as well. There will be a compromise, but it's something to think about.

I did exactly what you're talking about for several years. At first I was going to say take it down as low as it would go but I think the right answer is, shoot it at several different weights and see where you are most accurate. I'm assuming you have 80% or higher let off which won't give you much holding weight at the lower poundage. That may or may not be a good thing for you. It takes very little time to put everything back to normal for hunting season so you may as well play with it.

I don't think it's so much about weight as form. I would recommend you lookup Tom clum and watch his videos on YouTube to be sure your drawing method/form is right so you avoid injuries. Don't know if you have a bow yet or not but if not I would really recommend looking into the bowtechs. The cam modules flip from normal(performance) to smooth (give up 10fps for very easy draw), you can shoot one bow and flip em back to performance before hunting season.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back