I'm puzzled, any thoughts?

MITCHMO

So I'm sitting here in a hotel room for the night because I'm a sissy and ran off the mountain with some heavy snow. I'm headed back in the morning now that I know the weather should be ok. I wanted to take this opportunity to explain what I've seen and see if you all have any thoughts. Fyi first timer here...

Scouting the day before opener showed several groups of elk on small parks about 1/2 way up the peaks and headed down in the morning. So I went up and sat opener up high and had a group of elk sneak by without a shot, also headed down. I'm at about 9600 ft. Down about 8000 ft it sounds like world war three for several days now. I can't glass up a single elk and I have been hoping the hunting pressure would push them back up. Until today, it's been sunny and 50 during the day. Are these elk migrating out and not coming back up? I'm thinking of spending the rest of the week looking low, but the hunting pressure is crazy. Hopefully this snow will put me on the right path. I am just scratching my head why the elk don't seem to be up where I glassed them only two days ago. Do they just know that this is the time if year to leave?

I'm no expert, but I'd be looking in the thickest, steepest, nastiest country that I could find.

I'm no expert but I'd use the heavy shooting as a hint as to where are the elk.

I'm no expert but I'd use the heavy shooting as a hint as to where are the elk.

LOL seems so obvious now that you say it! I'm going to push my way in in the morning! The good news is that all the shooting is in a way easier area to access. I'm thinking these are the escape routes out of the national forest.

Once the season is well underway those elk know and start heading to private. Some will stay high until deep snow but most know where they are safe and start heading that way. The pressure will move them all around so hunting among the masses can pay off. I'm betting there are still some bulls up high in the thick and nasty stuff.

The first time that I ever went to Colorado, I went with guys that also had deer tags, so we went second season. Elk had been hassled big time and some areas still sounded like a war. Most elk had bailed to the private land. We got elk, but they had to be dug out of the pockets of terrible timber, where most would not go.

Pretty much sums up rifle hunting in easy to draw units in Colorado. At this point in the game, the know whats up and they have either bailed to private, or the thick nasty stuff on public. There is still elk to be had, but your going to have to dig em out.

So I'm sitting here in a hotel room for the night because I'm a sissy and ran off the mountain with some heavy snow. I'm headed back in the morning now that I know the weather should be ok. I wanted to take this opportunity to explain what I've seen and see if you all have any thoughts. Fyi first timer here...

Scouting the day before opener showed several groups of elk on small parks about 1/2 way up the peaks and headed down in the morning. So I went up and sat opener up high and had a group of elk sneak by without a shot, also headed down. I'm at about 9600 ft. Down about 8000 ft it sounds like world war three for several days now. I can't glass up a single elk and I have been hoping the hunting pressure would push them back up. Until today, it's been sunny and 50 during the day. Are these elk migrating out and not coming back up? I'm thinking of spending the rest of the week looking low, but the hunting pressure is crazy. Hopefully this snow will put me on the right path. I am just scratching my head why the elk don't seem to be up where I glassed them only two days ago. Do they just know that this is the time if year to leave?

Also, how is the forage for them up high? This time of year the grass may be dead at 9000'+ and still green lower down. As long as they have feed, water, and security cover they will stay up there.

Good news!!! Elk down!! Got a spike bull in the lower area after stalking down some fresh tracks. They went to super thick heavy timber and there was people all around it. No fresh tracks in the open anywhere. The thicker the better. Even saw two bulls packing out. I can't say enough about the kind people of wyoming. Ran into a couple people and they offered their horses to help this 140lb stick of a man get the elk out. So got my first elk today and met some great people. What a good day!

Awesome!! Congrats!! I'm jealous. I've hunted 3 years with no success. Granted they were spread out over 7 different seasons. I'm happy for you. One day I WILL get mine!!

Thanks everyone! I'm sitting here trying to figure out how I can go again next year :). I am seriously hooked now. What an awesome animal. Thanks for all the help from everyone on this forum. I'll try to get a picture posted when I get back.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back