PEAX Equipment

Illinois gun ban ruled "constitutional".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they really think criminals will register their guns and that it will reduce the amount of shootings?
That’s not exactly what this is about. We have discussed this at length before on HT. LE in Illinois has had a hard time tracking how guns get from legal ownership to criminal hands because there is no registration. You have to read through the UofC project on the topic. We all understand criminals don’t follow laws, but having law abiding citizens follow laws help refine the process for LE. For example, if tracking showed that 20% of the guns used in crimes in Chicago came from a specific dealer in, let’s say, Mississippi, that might help lead to action to cut supply chains. Guns and drugs are no different to a criminal. The 2A just lets them run free and clear without impunity.

As much as I really don't like big government infringing on the 2nd, I'm ok if every gun I own needs to be properly registered under my name.

When we just got those 3 guns from the passing of my wifes grandpa, we did take them all in to the local shop and paid the guy there 25 buck per to process the paperwork and get them all registered under our names. I don't really know why we did it other than we felt it didn't really hurt anything and was the "right" thing to do. That said, there are 5 firearms in my cabinet that aren't registered to my name and the 1 pistol may or may not be a "hot" gun from Chicago...or so the gentleman that gave it to me before he died says...
I have a couple guns from my great-grand father that don’t have serial numbers I wonder how they deal with that.

That’s not exactly what this is about. We have discussed this at length before on HT. LE in Illinois has had a hard time tracking how guns get from legal ownership to criminal hands because there is no registration. You have to read through the UofC project on the topic. We all understand criminals don’t follow laws, but having law abiding citizens follow laws help refine the process for LE. For example, if tracking showed that 20% of the guns used in crimes in Chicago came from a specific dealer in, let’s say, Mississippi, that might help lead to action to cut supply chains. Guns and drugs are no different to a criminal. The 2A just lets them run free and clear without impunity.
If a gun purchased from a dealer in Mississippi, and is used in a crime in Chicago , there is already an ATF form filed. A simple trace will provide LE with that information.

I have a couple guns from my great-grand father that don’t have serial numbers I wonder how they deal with that.
Worst case scenario, they read this on the internet, search your ip dress to validate and discover your real name, open a case against you and come to your house and bust in your door, put you in handcuffs, confiscate your guns, then proceed to bleed your bank account dry with legal fees and never give them back.

But that’s worst case scenario. Lol

That's exactly the case with the gun I mentioned and why I'm calling it "hot". The serial number is completely scratched off. Why would someone do that unless they did something wrong with it?

That's exactly the case with the gun I mentioned and why I'm calling it "hot". The serial number is completely scratched off. Why would someone do that unless they did something wrong with it?
Wasn't the recent supreme court ruling that it was legal to remove your serial number?

If a gun purchased from a dealer in Mississippi, and is used in a crime in Chicago , there is already an ATF form filed. A simple trace will provide LE with that information.
They only know place of origin. There is no trace to determine how it went from legal purchase to the hands of someone who illegally owned the gun and committed the crime with it, which is often the case. It is a patchwork system. I think this law tries to fill in that gap. I have no guess on how well it will work, and I get the push back here against it. But I don’t fault any state for trying to solve a problem.

I have guns that I purchased that could be traced back to where I bought them and I also have one gun that I bought in a private transaction. I have to problem filling out a paper to “register” that gun. I would just rather do it once and be clear to travel across the country and not worry about breaking a law in a state I drive through. But opinions vary on that. 😆

Worst case scenario, they read this on the internet, search your ip dress to validate and discover your real name, open a case against you and come to your house and bust in your door, put you in handcuffs, confiscate your guns, then proceed to bleed your bank account dry with legal fees and never give them back.

But that’s worst case scenario. Lol
See this is why the gun conversation gets dumb, I would love someone to cite one case, ever, where any police force has knocked on a door about a gun.

Sure people get a charge in addition to other crimes, but no one has ever period, had police get a warrant for safe storage, gun registration, FFL transfer etc.

Again yes people have been prosecuted for those kind of gun crimes but, no where ever have police knocked on a door because you didn’t register your hand-me-downs guns serial.

See this is why the gun conversation gets dumb, I would love someone to cite one case, ever, where any police force has knocked on a door about a gun.

Sure people get a charge in addition to other crimes, but no one has ever period, had police get a warrant for safe storage, gun registration, FFL transfer etc.

Again yes people have been prosecuted for those kind of gun crimes but, no where ever have police knocked on a door because you didn’t register your hand-me-downs guns serial.
I don't think he was being all that serious....

This is where the gun registration argument gets dumb. Why doesn't Illinois worry about locking up the drug dealers and gang bangers in South Chicago before they worry about registration? Registration has always been the start of more strict gun control measures, and government never gives up on laws once they are passed. One only has to look to Canada, Australia and South Africa to see why registration is the start of a bad deal.
Screenshot_20230813_113041_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
This is where the gun registration argument gets dumb. Why doesn't Illinois worry about locking up the drug dealers and gang bangers in South Chicago before they worry about registration? Registration has always been the start of more strict gun control measures, and government never gives up on laws once they are passed. One only has to look to Canada, Australia and South Africa to see why registration is the start of a bad deal.
View attachment 287777
That would be profiling and harassment of an underprivileged minority. :rolleyes: They don't have time or resources to actually do something positive so they go on TV and beat their chest about common sense laws and blabber about how they can make it all better if we want to "protect the children".

That would be profiling and harassment of an underprivileged minority. :rolleyes: They don't have time or resources to actually do something positive so they go on TV and beat their chest about common sense laws and blabber about how they can make it all better if we want to "protect the children".
…Only to be met with accusations of “Nazism”. It spirals into ridiculousness pretty fast. I am more convinced by the day that it’s not just politicians but most Americans don’t really want to solve our problems. It doesn’t matter if it is gun violence, homelessness, opioid abuse, climate change - none of them. We become even more hardline against any solution if it requires us to put forth even the most modest of extra effort or money. We say we want solutions, but talk is cheaper by the day.

Like most states, Illinois has a shortage of LE, prison staff, healthcare professionals, and just about any other position you can think of. No one wants the job because of the danger involved, which has been further exacerbated by labor shortages. Armchair politicians come up with these type of ideas.

…Only to be met with accusations of “Nazism”. It spirals into ridiculousness pretty fast. I am more convinced by the day that it’s not just politicians but most Americans don’t really want to solve our problems. It doesn’t matter if it is gun violence, homelessness, opioid abuse, climate change - none of them. We become even more hardline against any solution if it requires us to put forth even the most modest of extra effort or money. We say we want solutions, but talk is cheaper by the day.

Like most states, Illinois has a shortage of LE, prison staff, healthcare professionals, and just about any other position you can think of. No one wants the job because of the danger involved, which has been further exacerbated by labor shortages. Armchair politicians come up with these type of ideas.
People are going to be skeptical when you have more gun laws then most and more crime than most (I'm generalizing here I know). The job has always been dangerous. Nobody wants the do it because they're going to end up in prison for trying to do their job.

People are going to be skeptical when you have more gun laws then most and more crime than most (I'm generalizing here I know). The job has always been dangerous. Nobody wants the do it because they're going to end up in prison for trying to do their job.
If only it were that simple. It is more dangerous now. Prisons have practically become mental health hospitals. High prisoner to officer ratios and more “crazy” is the problem. It’s not like they don’t advertise the jobs, just can’t fill them. None of that theory explains a shortage in 911 operators.

I’m sure this will reduce the hourly shootings in Chicago.
The gangs and drug runners will finally change their ways now. The country we live in gets scarier and scarier. Almost like saying hey cigarettes cause cancer, people are still going to smoke cigarettes. I guess they need to put a sticker on the manufacturer box of the firearm that says "this may kill someone/something" and show more senators trying to explain how an "assault rifle" works. Bad people are going to keep doing bad things and unfortunately the bad things that happen are to good people doing what they are supposed to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back