Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho bear hunting

TheSurveyor

So I bought a Colorado bear tag this yr for the first time and didn't get to punch it. Now I'm determined more than ever to get a bear. I've been doing a lot of reading and I've settled on doing a spring idaho hunt.
I've got a lot of questions and I'm open to spot and stalk or baiting. One of my biggest questions in trying to narrow down a unit is hunting pressure in relation to harvest numbers. Some of the units had over 200 bears harvested compared to my Colorado unit that had 33 bears.
So the idaho units that have really high harvest numbers is that a reflection of bear population or heavy hunting pressure?

It would depend on what part of Idaho you are talking about. I killed a couple of bears in the spring in Northern Idaho. Granted that was a few years ago but I don't think much has changed and I doubt hunting pressure will have much of an affect on you. You could run in to people running them with dogs. Hopefully not. Baiting would be the way to go and I would be surprised if it did not work. There are pretty much bears everywhere.

Assuming you are from Colorado then Unit 76 might be your best option. I can't believe there are not bears in that unit and you can bait.
https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-bear_2015-2016.pdf

If you are open to going farther North in to Idaho then I assure you that you will have no problem getting bears to bait in Unit 8. It worked everywhere I tried it and they seemed to find the bait in 3-4 days. And I never had problems with hound hunters. I can show you where I hunted back then if Northern Idaho is within your means.

I'm open to anywhere in the state. The only thing is if I were to bait I would want to stay lower in the state so I could drive up a week before the hunt to set up bait. The SE corner of the state is only 8hr drive opposed to unit 1 in the panhandle is 17hr drive. At the surface of looking into this I was set on 76 due to location. But after looking at harvest numbers 76 had 13 bears opposed to unit 1 had 221 bears killed. That's what got me worried about pressure.
I'm open to hunting anywhere at this point. I plan on taking a full 7days for the hunt not including drive time.
I suppose I could do a bait if I set it up day one and try spot not n stalk for a few days until they found the bait. I guess I thought it would take some time for them to make a bait site a regular stop.

Not heavy hunting pressure. If the harvest numbers are high in northern Idaho (and they certainly should be) its because the populations are high, very high, in my opinion. Try units 10 and 10A near Orofino. Spring is best for several reasons and baiting is absolutely unnecessary. In some of the nearby units you can purchase reduced price tags. Yes we're talking two tags. I've hunted this area for many years and I can promise you that you won't go home empty handed. If you need more detailed information shoot me a PM. Good luck

Not heavy hunting pressure. If the harvest numbers are high in northern Idaho (and they certainly should be) its because the populations are high, very high, in my opinion. Try units 10 and 10A near Orofino. Spring is best for several reasons and baiting is absolutely unnecessary. In some of the nearby units you can purchase reduced price tags. Yes we're talking two tags. I've hunted this area for many years and I can promise you that you won't go home empty handed. If you need more detailed information shoot me a PM. Good luck

This is great advice. I don't think guys comprehend how many bears there are in Northern Idaho and NW Montana until they get up here and see for themselves.

Two tags, reduced tag price, extended seasons and use of electronic calls should entice prospective bear hunters to north central and north Idaho. They won't be everywhere, but if you know the areas bears frequent you'll be up to your neck in black bears if you decide to hunt these areas. Why go anywhere else?

Those units did catch my eye with the reduced tags and the option of a second. What's the reason for that? Access issues?

I do appreciate all the help. I want to narrow down a area then drill down on it so I know it inside and out.

I did see on the stats that almost all the Bears taken in 10 last yr were over bait. Is that outfitters?

I love that Idaho let's you use you tag in the fall season if you don't fill it in the spring. Although I hope I don't find myself in that boat.

I probably will go back up in the fall regardless though since I will have already bought the general hunting license. Maybe get a deer and or a wolf tag.

Those units did catch my eye with the reduced tags and the option of a second. What's the reason for that? Access issues?

I do appreciate all the help. I want to narrow down a area then drill down on it so I know it inside and out.

I did see on the stats that almost all the Bears taken in 10 last yr were over bait. Is that outfitters?

Access somewhat, not a ton of open roads and spring snow can last a long time some years. Main reason for the two tags, reduced price, electronic calls, etc. is in an effort to reduce bear pops to help elk calf survival.

Their are a few outfitters and yeah the vast majority of their bears are being killed on baits. The other reason for high bait harvest in those areas are the very same reason you are looking their, its an attractive hunt to lots of people anymore. Its probably just okay spot and stalk country, some parts are really open and the rest is pretty darn thick timber. Also those parts of Idaho don't have a ton of elevation but it makes up for it by being steep.

Sorry guys I don't have a lot of time right now to respond to everyone's comments. I'm out scouting. Tomorrow is opening day. Mid to late April is ideal.There shouldn't be any snow on the roads unless you're up very high which isn't where you want to be anyway. Forget the bait, it's unnecessary if you're familiar with the areas bears frequent. "Spot and stalk" is an added option you have but in my option isn't necessary. Bears are a major problem for the elk population so that is the primary reason for the price reductions on bear tags. You won't spend a week in these areas without spotting bears. Huge area, not a lot of outfitters, few residents hunt them and of course one major bonus you can add to all of this. You get to experience Idaho. Gotta go for now, my "ancestral hunting area" is inaccessible because of road conditions so I'm desperately seeking a new access route before sunrise tomorrow morning. I'll get back with you later.

Randy11 and I have recommended an area with outstanding opportunities to kill a black bear(s) based on personal observations, familiarity with the areas and hunting experiences. That's a pretty good starting point if you're looking for a good place to start your search. You might also try calling the local Idaho Fish and Game warden in the Orofino area who can corroborate our recommendations. He can advise you on weather conditions such as snow etc. Southern Idaho is not the place to go and you won't be able to compensate for the very, very low bear numbers with baiting. And baiting may not increase your opportunities for sightings. As far as terrain is concerned, black bears are always found in mountainous, forested areas. Where else would you expect to find them? That's bear hunting and as Cheryl Crowe says " It ain't no country club".

Hannibal I appreciate yours and everyone else input. I've really just been trying to understand all the dynamics of the different units; baiting/not baiting, electronic calls/no electronic calls, reduced tags, extended seasons, hounds, and so on.....

I will probably shoot you a pm at some point after I print out some maps. The unit ten area sounds pretty good and it's only about a 12hr drive.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back