Idaho 3 generation deer hunt

T Bone

We just returned from our family pilgrimage to Southern Idaho, unit 56. I love hunting with my original partner and my newest partners. Made some memories that are going to stick.

This year is my daughter's first year hunting. She's the first gal in the family to hunt. I have found out that hunting with a daughter is really fun.

We had several setups on bucks opening morning, but she couldn't get steady where she felt comfortable. By mid afternoon she decided that she'd take the next deer that offered a good shot, be it doe or buck.

Finally at last light, we got set up on a lone doe where she could lay down and get steady for a longish cross canyon shot. The girl can outshoot her older brothers, so I knew she could do it.

One shot from the 7-08, the doe made it two steps and tipped over.

It took a bit to find the deer in the brush. Beautiful doe!

The days of 3 generation hunts are certainly limited. It was a ton of fun!

My dad has hunted this canyon for 40 years. He's moving slower, but he still gets it done.

Mid day naps are always good!

I had a full day to hunt by myself. I found one good buck. While sneaking into range he busted me and I never saw him again.

As expected, a lot of people camped and road hunting and illegal ATVers, but we had the mountain to ourselves.

it always amazes me how little walking it takes to get away from 90% of the people, congrats on the hunt, and tell your daughter congrats. My parents haven't aged well lately, and I'm really afraid my son will never get to hunt with his grandfather. Cherish those memories.

A perfect example of why we hunt. Very cool T-Bone. Hope it is one of many more memorable days with both the generation in front of you and the generation following in your steps.

Thanks for the kind words.

A couple of people have asked via PM about Idaho's youth hunt for non-residents.

It's very inexpensive for ages 10-17.

Junior Mentored License is $31.75
Junior Mentored Deer tag is $23.75
Junior Mentored elk tag is $39.75

Yes, those prices are for non-resident youth when accompanied by an adult license holder.

Next year my youngest will be 10 and he is crazy excited.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back