hunter/conservationist/environmentalist on Grizzly Bear management

Good luck getting Grizzlies delisted in the GYE Greenhorn. "Yellowstoner's" out number and out donate your kind, in the GYE these days.

Yeah, right.

Just like "we'll never see a wolf season in Montana", "we'll never have another bison season"...and all your other accurate predictions.

Grizzlies in the GYE are coming off the list.

The folks making these statements fall into three categories.

1. Never read the Conservation Strategy, a document that would explain how everyone of these concerns has been addressed and explains this entire process.

2. Read the Conservation Strategy, but have second-grade reading comprehension, and that might even be an insult to the second graders.

3. Read the Conservation Strategy with high level reading comprehension, but want to have it their way, so they disregard what they read and they are asking the USFWS to retract the agreement that was made with the states and drive another nail in the coffin of our 170 year-old system of state trusteeship over wildlife and replace it with a system of Federal oversight.

I know that is a blunt assessment, but I've engaged in tons of conversations with people opposed. Most have not bothered to read the CS and consider themselves armchair biologists. Many others have read and will try to convince me that they know more than the best grizzly bear biologists in the world. And a few, who I can at least respect for their honesty even if I completely disagree, have come out and stated they want to replace state-based wildlife management with a Federal system.

The folks making these statements fall into three categories.

1. Never read the Conservation Strategy, a document that would explain how everyone of these concerns has been addressed and explains this entire process.

2. Read the Conservation Strategy, but have second-grade reading comprehension, and that might even be an insult to the second graders.

3. Read the Conservation Strategy with high level reading comprehension, but want to have it their way, so they disregard what they read and they are asking the USFWS to retract the agreement that was made with the states and drive another nail in the coffin of our 170 year-old system of state trusteeship over wildlife and replace it with a system of Federal oversight.

I know that is a blunt assessment, but I've engaged in tons of conversations with people opposed. Most have not bothered to read the CS and consider themselves armchair biologists. Many others have read and will try to convince me that they know more than the best grizzly bear biologists in the world. And a few, who I can at least respect for their honesty even if I completely disagree, have come out and stated they want to replace state-based wildlife management with a Federal system.

You're missing a couple GIANT segments...

4) Those whose emotions overpower any rational thought process.
5) Those whose understanding of "hunting" is based on their own limited views, and they expect others to have the same views/interests.

I'm curious if Joe Gutowski enjoy hunting black bears in the Spring? Should our egos/freezers/adventures be as lame as those of mythic hunter/provider, Joshua Dickinson?

Last edited:
I respect Joe 100% - and I hope that I'll be packing elk out when I'm 88. I can see many of his points - but I am of the opinion that in the long term, the hunting of Grizzlies in the lower 48 will be a key to their survival and benefit.

A couple of points to support this belief:
- From the Federal Register: "From 2002-2014, 76 percent of known or probable grizzly bear mortalities in the GYE DMA (311/410) were human-caused (Haroldson 2014, in litt.; Haroldson et al. 2015, p. 26). " It does go on to say that there is an increased mortality rate in the Fall, when hunters are hitting the hills (nothing shocking there). I doubt the bear mortalities will increase once delisted. Once they learn that they are on the list of huntable species - they won't be hanging around after they smell humans. I would venture that over the course of a couple of years the "management" kills (USFWS, etc) will drop simply because the bears will avoid contact instead searching for an easy meal.
- Hunting will aid in bear dispersal and allow genetic connectivity to happen sooner rather than later. There is not a push for a bear to move right now other than being in competition with other bears - and that is mainly for males during breeding season. In the Yukon bears cover a much larger territory (est 3000 sq miles for males) vs GYE (est 337 sq miles for males) - which is mainly food source driven, but bears can cover a huge amount of ground.
- Regarding overall mortality - the hunting numbers are "instead of" rather than "in addition to". The bear mortality numbers referenced above average out to 26 bears per year killed as a result of humans. We're killing bears in the GYE whether folks like it or not. I would personally like to see the meat used for something other than research.

I get the emotional argument folks have for not wanting bears hunted - but advocating their stance based on science? Show me a degree and some research, I'll listen.

I'm starting to think I've been a little hard on crazy old Joe. If grizzlies expand into the Bridger's then we can shut down Bridger Bowl. Chairlift riding sissies don't deserve to be in bear country anyway. And Yellowstone Park? Walk in only. If tourists want to watch Raspberry, their going to have to hoof it.

Good ideas Joe?

Back