howa VS savage

TLC

friend is looking for some advice. figure since some of you have howas, you might be able to help.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/EDH/topic/10003201/1/#new

It's time for a new rifle, and I'd like some input from you fine folks.

I've already decided that it'll be chambered in .25-06Rem, and the rifle will have either detachable box mag or hinged floorplate. The problem is I'm undecided on whether it will be the Savage Axis or the Howa w/Hogue stock.

I know that the Axis is a decent firearm (my boy has one in .223 and it shoots nice tight groups) and is about $100 less than the Howa. However, I don't know much about the Howa and wondered if anyone here has one, and what they think of it.

I'd greatly prefer the Howa over an Axis. However, I'd probably prefer a savage 10/110 series over a Howa. This is mostly due to aftermarket product support and ability to customize later.

I'd greatly prefer the Howa over an Axis. However, I'd probably prefer a savage 10/110 series over a Howa. This is mostly due to aftermarket product support and ability to customize later.

I agree with 1pt on this. . .Howa over the Axis for sure. Its whatever you feel most comfortable with, I would try to handle both side by side. I'm a Savage and a Howa fan, and own several that are great guns and shoot excellent. Personal pref in the end. good luck.

I'd probably agree...the Howa over the Axis, but the Model 11/111 over either of them.

I went through the same process and settled on the Savage model 11. I was interested in the Howa but needed a left-handed gun so it was out. From all the research I did, it was worth the extra $$ to upgrade from the Axis (if your budget wasn't super tight).

I picked up a Savage 110 a few years ago for a truck/loaner gun. It was under $400 with the cheap bushnell scope package. I've been impressed by what I got for what I paid and just put a new stock on it for my wife to start shooting it. I don't have a Howa but I have spent some time with it's twin the Vanguard and it would make a good option as well. Have him handle them and then watch the sale adds.

Allow me to be the dissenting voice.

Savage while accurate firearms have never appealed to me, and since the introduction of the AccuTrigger appeal even less so...

Having an end user adjustable trigger is a great idea. Having a Trigger Safety on a hunting rifle is, in my mind, a pretty bad idea. I would prefer to have as few moving parts in a hunting rifle as possible. The fewer moving parts the fewer failure points.

That being said. IMO, Yes the Main line savage models are superior to the Axis. Yes the Howa is a better built rifle than the Axis. IMO I would take a Howa over an AccuTrigger Savage to avoid the trigger safety.

Pretty unanimous decision with which I agree. If price point is an issue, look at the Stevens 200 and the marlin xl7. Used rifles are a smart way to go, lots of great deals to be had.

I've never had problems with my accutriggers (I own 3 rifles with them) but I seem to remember a hunting show where a young hunter did not fully engage the trigger safety. The trigger disengaged withouth firing the gun. He had to re-@#)(# the rifle which ultimately resulted in a no shot on the animal.

If he isn't picky on the caliber and knows his guns, there are a ton of Facebook Groups devoted to buying, selling, and trading guns. I'm a member of atleast 5 groups in Montana and sometimes there are some smoking deals on guns...luckily I live a pretty good distance from a lot of the sellers otherwise my bank account would be empty and my safe would be full.

I've never had problems with my accutriggers (I own 3 rifles with them) but I seem to remember a hunting show where a young hunter did not fully engage the trigger safety. The trigger disengaged withouth firing the gun. He had to re-@#)(# the rifle which ultimately resulted in a no shot on the animal.

Don't remember which hunting show it was on, but that did happen on one of the hunting shows.

I was working at a sporting goods store in Bozeman when Savage introduced the Accutrigger. I got surprisingly good at making them fail. Especially with a winter glove. Realistically, if you are not trying to get them to fail they probably wont. But I would prefer not to take the chance on a rifle.

As mentioned above, the Weatherby Vanguard would be another great option. My wife has one, and it is a very nice rifle. Don't have a ton of rounds through it (relatively new), but I shot sub MOA @ 100yd with some good Hornady ammo.

I would spend a few extra dollars and buy the components to make a semi-custom savage. I have done a couple and they are pretty easy and extremely accurate. I also like the rifle basix trigger better than the accutrigger. I know people who have had some not great experience with savage stock barrels. And an aftermarket pre cut is way better. I don't think most gun smiths would charge very much to put them together, and in my opinion is better than a stock (insert most manufacturers here). Just my .02.

And if your a caliber nut like me, buy the tools to do it yourself and then you can either swap barrels or make more guns(although my pocket book doesn't appreciate me doing that)!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back