PEAX Equipment

How many have hunted the west with a single shot rifle?

What is your pistol set up? I've been thinking about a 6.8 spc. I think it would be a nice little pistol set up.
On the goat, I used a scoped 10” stainless steel T/C Contender in 30/30.

I think the 6.8 SPC would be a great pistol round for hunting. I shot a black bear with my 14.5” 6.8 rifle. It dropped pretty quick.

I carried a Encore for years. Elk hunting I used a 300 win mag and a 7mm rem mag. For deer I used my 7mm-08 barrel. All of these barrels shoot at least MOA, the magnum calibers had muzzle brakes on them. The heavy barrels of the magnum rounds made the rifles heavy. I have a custom Remington 700 in 7mm for my primary gun. I'll take my encore as a back up.

blacksheep
Do you know the weight difference between the encore with the magnum barrel vs the 700? Thanks

When I first jumped into Western hunting I used aT/C Encore in 7mm mag. It was heavy but killed several animals with it. I since switched to lighter bolt guns. Always wanted a Ruger #1 I think they are beautiful tools.

Though not a 'designated' one shot, my only rifle I utilize for current western hunting is a 45-70 for which, if you calculate the cycle time following the significant recoil and adjustment of rifle takes almost just as long as a single shot with rapid reloading skills.

Attachments

• D4D4B03F-F83B-4ACC-8EC7-6F05BF6244FE.jpeg
    D4D4B03F-F83B-4ACC-8EC7-6F05BF6244FE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
I've used a single shot bolt rifle for the past 5 years. In my mind it isn't a handicap. I think the opposite it helps you slow down and get a good shot. Load quick if you need a a follow-up.

On the goat, I used a scoped 10” stainless steel T/C Contender in 30/30.

I think the 6.8 SPC would be a great pistol round for hunting. I shot a black bear with my 14.5” 6.8 rifle. It dropped pretty quick.
That's good to know. I was in the dark one evening in the TN mountains packing up from an evening sit for wild boar, and flipped on a light when I heard something approaching about 40 yards. Except it was a black bear at 10 years, coming right to me.

We had two mirrored, full cycles of stare, decide whether to attack, think better of it and back up a step....

Thankfully after the second round this he did actually back up for good.

Almost had to send a full mag of .277 TSX into a 10 yard target, YIKES!

I’d love to have a Ruger #1, but as mentioned earlier they are way too expensive for the hit or miss reviews regarding accuracy and trigger quality. I will always wonder what could have been if I’d pulled the trigger when the heavier barrel .257 wby was available…

I’d love to have a Ruger #1, but as mentioned earlier they are way too expensive for the hit or miss reviews regarding accuracy and trigger quality. I will always wonder what could have been if I’d pulled the trigger when the heavier barrel .257 wby was available…

There are a lot of guns out there besides the Ruger #1. Some of them might be more interesting. How about a custom Remington Rolling Block, underlever Gove conversion? I know of one that was for sale recently for only $1500. It may still be available.

Killed a lot of critters with my Browning 1885 in 7mm mag. Probably use it on my bison hunt this year too

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back