Caribou Gear

How long did it take for your first elk?

Started elk hunting at 50 yrs old. Have hunted Kentucky once, Colorado twice and New Mexico once. All public land. Connected on a nice bull the third year, in New Mexico. Have learned a lot with a whole lot more to learn.

Shot a raghorn 5 days into my first year. More luck than skill. Was walking in to a place to glass and was taking a break and looked up on the hill side and the rag horn was staring at me broadside 80 yards away.

Hunted the archery season every weekend and with a few after work evening scouts/hunts and shot a bull opening weekend of rifle.

Was successful on the first two trips (one rifle & one archery). More dumb luck than anything.

Went 1st rifle in NW Colorado last year and never saw an elk.

I was able to tag out my first two years hunting. The first was absolute blind luck. The second was just regular luck.

Then 4 years of nothing 😅.

DIY public land elk hunting is very difficult, especially in spike units.

Three seasons. First season I passed on a shot at a cow. Second season I let my friend shoot a young bull, while standing next to him. The third season I shot a bull while by myself. All on public land.

First year. Hunted a general MT unit for archery. Had a bull @ 20 yards full draw, but there was a log blocking his vitals. Went back for rifle season and shot the same bull on a different ridge close by.

I've only gotten to go elk hunting one time and that was for a cow. I was successful on my fourth day, but I had someone super familiar with the elk in the area with me.

I hate to say it, but I killed a 5x5 bull within the first 6hr of my first day of my first elk hunt. I almost had a bigger bull within the first half hour but couldn’t get a shot through the tight aspens. Kinda bittersweet

Like the title says, how long did it take you to bag your first elk? Bull or cow. 2023 was my third year hunting them and I have yet to get one. I've had encounters often but in the part of Washington I'm in its true spike only and I only encounter cows and big bulls. I'm putting in for a bull tag in my preferred unit, not counting on drawing, but I definitely feel like I am still just "paying my dues." How long did it take you?

I started elk hunting in 2010. I didn’t kill my first elk until a cow elk in 2015 with a rifle.

I got my first bull in 2017 with a rifle.

After that I have harvested another cow and 2 more bulls with a rifle. I did not harvest my first six point with a rifle til 2023.

I have been skunked with all 7 archery seasons I have hunted. I had a couple of heartbreaking misses and shot opportunities but still have yet to seal the deal on any archery elk.

I know a lot of other people have had way better beginners luck than me, but I have enjoyed the challenge and emotional payoff that eventually success has brought me. The places elk motivate you are to go are unreal and amazing. No regrets on continuing this pursuit.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back