How do you transport your turkey home after an out-of-state hunt?

Bukwild3

I just called Nebraska g/f and they said I had to keep the bird intact with spurs and the beard had to be attached or detached with at least 1/4" of skin attached. So how do you yall bring them home. Pluck/skin and a trash bag? I was hoping to be able to break down and put in vacuum sealed bags and freeze. Not sure if I want my bird on ice for a week and definitely don't want to freeze the whole bird and have to defrost. Cooking is an option but wasn't really gonna want to deal with that at night.

Well, I will have to change my ways. I have always skinned them out soon after shooting and deboned the breast and deboned the meat from the legs (gizzard also). Placed in bag an froze ASAP. I also keep the fan, the beard, and spurs in another bag. Also keep the paper tag or the tag that is downloaded to the phone.

good luck to all
the dog

Will be my first year hunting out of state for turkeys but it will be literally a 2 minute drive across the border from a friends house. Guess I haven't really looked into it. Good thing to remember when I try Nebraska next year for archery turkey.

If u read the Nebraska turkey regs under transport, u will see that u can bone it out but the carcass has to remain intact and in your possession. Read the regs.

http://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-spring-turkey-regs-1-1.pdf

as far as how I transport-bone out breast and legs. put in 2 gallon Ziploc and freeze. If I'm saving the fan or cape I put it between two pscs of cardboard tape it and freeze...or in the cooler.

Thanks I'll have to call them and inform them of this they made need to read it too.

Last edited:
Good link. So they way I read it: debone breast and legs and leave carcass intact. It could get stinky if I try for more then one bird :) As soon as across the SD state line the carcass gets thrown.

good luck to all
the dog

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTP1029
Back