Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

High Country Muley

so, in the week leading up to the rifle opener I shot a few times to make sure everything was good and build the confidence. I had been thinking about and visualizing the shot that I would have on Heavy D. His home was on a really steep hill side that had scattered timber on it. There was no smart way to hunt him from the same hill side. It was very steep and just enough timber on it that it would end up being a very close rifle shot and I didn't want to risk stalking through his home turff and blowing him out. So, the shot that I was planning on was going to be a cross canyon shot, with some potentially long distances.

Three shot group at 650 yds, three days before the opener.

IMG_20150909_201044141 - Copy.jpg

Ok lots of boot pics I think we get the idea. Pics of the dead buck?
I hope this isn't a story where they ALMOST got the giant buck.

on the drive out of town, two days before the opener, I stopped for one last shot.

700 yds...the confidence was high and I was ready

IMG_20150909_194106238 - Copy.jpg

So, there I was on my sniper perch in the dark of opening day, pouring rain, waiting for light to start glassing. Is that him? Yup, sure enough there he was bedded. I was in a rock solid prone position, bipod down, pack under the rear of the gun, I had the cross hairs burning a hole through his head...he had to stand up.

IMG_20150912_190905512_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
the moment of truth, he stands and....BOOM!

I missed....and missed....and missed again. Now I'm reloading....Then..... another shot rang out...WTF!?...I couldn't process what was happening. I look up from the gun and down in the basin, there he is, Heavy D, laying there dead, the buck of my dreams is dead. A young local kid had just hammered Heavy D. This has been a tough deal to get through, so much time, effort, anticipation, dreams....all crushed. I missed him!

2015_0914_14121000.jpg

he was a good kid and couldn't believe that he had just taken this buck. I congratulated him, helped him out a little, took some pictures and started the long, depressing hike back to camp.

Heavy D was dead and going home with someone else.

2015_0914_14223900.jpg

good story non the less. sorry you missed him

not trying to call you out but what is the deal with this last picture. the white halo around his antlers and the guys head?

yup, it stung then and still stings now. But...oh well...nothing to do about it now i guess..

kinda weird taking a photo with someone elses deer...every time i see it, i want to puke!

2015_0914_14095400.jpg

Last edited:
Oh sweet jesus... I can't even imagine. Sorry to hear that buddy, but congrats to the kid on connecting.

good story non the less. sorry you missed him

not trying to call you out but what is the deal with this last picture. the white halo around his antlers and the guys head?

Its the HDR (High Dynamic Range) Setting on my camera...i kinda dig the look

after this whole ordeal, cold, wet and no other buck in the area that I wanted to hunt, I made it back to camp, packed up and hiked out. Got a greasy burger in town and contemplated what to do next. I had spent all my time focused on this one deer and now he was dead. what do i do now? where do i go? could i find another big buck? Well, I tried and after another 4 days of hunting and a couple chances at really nice deer, I could never get myself to pull the trigger. I was done. Years of building bonus points, truly a hunt of a lifetime, and I was heading home beat down and with a tag in my pocket.

I'll be back!

DSCF3962.JPG

Last edited:
Damn....don't know what to say other than that was one hell of a story. I commend you for how you treated the kid who got the buck. My guess is that was a bitter pill to swallow. Much respect to you and how you roll....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back