Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

High Country Mule Deer Hunt

Well it looks as if I won't have enough points to draw a high country hunt aS it stands now. So it looks like a 3rd season hunt is the best choice just as ishootdasmallones was saying.

My buddy and I had two of the 5 non-resident early rifle tags in unit 36. We scouted, had some local help but you can't fight the weather. Saw some good deer during our scouting trip in August, but none of them were still up high by the time we got back for the opener in September. If this hunt was 1 week earlier or opened with archery I would say yes, but where they have it just all depends on the cold fronts in my opinion.

I could see why this would be a great hunt on the right year, we had 20+ mph winds and got snowed on several times. On the plus side it is some amazingly beautiful country.

Doing it over again I would have burnt my points on an area with higher deer density. Live and learn. Still loved being up there and the fishing was amazing in some of the high country lakes.

My buddy and I had two of the 5 non-resident early rifle tags in unit 36. We scouted, had some local help but you can't fight the weather. Saw some good deer during our scouting trip in August, but none of them were still up high by the time we got back for the opener in September. If this hunt was 1 week earlier or opened with archery I would say yes, but where they have it just all depends on the cold fronts in my opinion.

I could see why this would be a great hunt on the right year, we had 20+ mph winds and got snowed on several times. On the plus side it is some amazingly beautiful country.

Doing it over again I would have burnt my points on an area with higher deer density. Live and learn. Still loved being up there and the fishing was amazing in some of the high country lakes.

robie...thanks for the info and it sucks you had to eat your tag. Well it looks like it's going to be a third season solo hunt for me.

25 is definitely a unit that is going to require a lot of scouting. That said anything is possible. If you don't have the time to scout it, I'd find a different unit. Just my opinion and it's probably not worth much lol. Good luck to ya.

I really wanted to love the hunt. The scouting trip was a blast and we saw some great deer.

I talked to the warden for the area he told me they used to have the hunt open labor day but had to much hunter/hiker conflict and moved it back a week to avoid it. Very disappointing. Everyone we met was very nice but I'm sure it only takes a few bad instances for the wardens not to want to deal with it. There may be more to that story he didn't share with me.

Unfortunately CO doesn't do mandatory reporting so if the sample size is small you really don't know the actual harvest statistics. I know of 4 of the 5 non residents ate their tags this year.

I really wanted to love the hunt. The scouting trip was a blast and we saw some great deer.

I talked to the warden for the area he told me they used to have the hunt open labor day but had to much hunter/hiker conflict and moved it back a week to avoid it. Very disappointing. Everyone we met was very nice but I'm sure it only takes a few bad instances for the wardens not to want to deal with it. There may be more to that story he didn't share with me.

Unfortunately CO doesn't do mandatory reporting so if the sample size is small you really don't know the actual harvest statistics. I know of 4 of the 5 non residents ate their tags this year.

Well that's rough eating a tag like that...I think I'll stick with a second or third season hunt like they guys have been recommending. Theres a few decent looking units I think I can draw...just hard to settle on one but hey I've got a few months and thats all part of the fun.

I still had a great time and learned a lot and had the opportunity at some huge bucks. Good luck with your tag next year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back