Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

High Altitude Advice

genesis273

First, I live at the grand altitude of 650' above sea level, where the air is thick and humid and is hard to breath. In a couple weeks I'll be going on my first elk hunt at elevations around 8500 to 10,000'. I've heard and have read alot about altitude sickness, or just the fatigue of trying to breathe thin air. This will be a two week hunt and I'll have a few days to acclimate myself, but I'm trying to find ways that will make it easier to adjust to the thin air. I have been running alot trying to strengthen my lungs, but that's about it.

Anyone, especially low altitude folks that have done this type hunt, have any advice on best ways to prepare?

At this point all you can do is be in the best cardio shape you can be in. There's are some gimmicks out there and they may help, but with just a couple of weeks left I'd be running everyday.

Lived on the coast in Calif for 30+ years and did a lot of hunting at the altitudes you are talking about. Never had much of an issue other than a small headache here and there. If you have a couple of days to acclimate then you should be fine. Elk hunts require you to be in pretty good shape anyway, would concentrate on that before worrying about the altitude too much. Best of luck to you and have fun!

look were I live, I know your worries. you will be fine, the guys on here gave good advice, be cardio ready, drink lots of water and try to spend a day or 2 at elevation before getting after them. this is what I like to do (in a perfect world) for a plan to hunt Saturday at sun up. I get to base camp/trailhead Wednesday, spend Thursday taking it easy and packing my gear for mountain. that day is just a lazy day eating and drinking around basecamp elevation. Friday I leave out at sunup and hike to my spike camp spot, hiking steady and not pushing it, if my body says rest I do. get to spike camp by lunch time, I hike about 1-1.25 miles a hour in elevation changing country. set up spike near a spotting spot. grab my stove and a mountain house and my spotting gear and eat dinner watching my drainage. at dark I hope I found something for the next day but either way I go to sleep as soon as I can. the next day get at it, just no crazy long stalks first day. never had any problems if I just took it easy as stated above and that's up to about 10k-10500'

I live in Wisconsin, basically sea level, and we stay one night at 4600ft in a hotel then we go straight to 10,000ft and hike seven miles. I personally haven't gotten sick, yes you feel a little more fatigued but nothing too serious. My father got attitude sickness one year but slept it off and felt fine the next morning. Ever since he uses a supplement called "acclimate", a powder drink additive that he starts taking a few weeks prior. I personally don't believe in it but he swears by it. All you can do is prime your cardiovascular system and be well hydrated and hope for the best. Just remember that if you get to elevation and get real sick the only cure is to head down. Good luck, I'm sure you will do fine.

Take it easy the first few days and build up as the days progress. I was 67 yesterday and hunt Wyoming every year up to about 8,000' with no problem, but I also don't try to run races out there either! You don't have to be able to run a marathon to hunt out west, but use some common sense and know the signs of altitude sickness in case you may be prone to it. You won't know that until you get out there and get going on your hunt because it can affect each person differently.

All sound advice. I ran into some guys from Mississippi one year while hunting in northern NM. We were camped at 9000 feet and these guys went passed us to the end of the road and set up camp at close to 11,000 feet. They were young and in fairly good shape. Fortunately, they were there a couple days early. They told me that they were so sick the first day that they were there, that they almost packed up and left. They spent the day in the rack. After a couple days, they were fine and hunted hard every day.

It's important to remember that everyone is different. Altitude affects people differently. Some adjust quickly and don't have too many problems. Others take longer. Even a physically fit, young athlete can take longer to adjust than you'd expect. The advice here is good. Being in the best shape possible is the first order of business. And take in plenty of fluids while in the field. You'll feel better as the hunt progresses. Best of luck and enjoy your hunt!

I have a couple of suggestions, being a flatlander myself.
The number 1 thing that I have done for the last 20 + years is start taking 1 aspirin a day, 3 to 4 weeks before I head out west, it helps a bunch with the nagging headaches you get from lack of oxygen.
take it easy for the first few days when you get there.
I prefer Gatorade of just water, it supplies your body with things it needs, take the powder kind if need be and add it to water.

I am 62 and work out on a Elliptical every other day year around, with the resistance set on high. and go to every day 2 months before I head out west to hunt.

Kevin

Hydrate, hunt high and sleep low, take Ibuprofin every four to six hours for the first couple of days.

Genesis, Altitude sickness effects everyone differently, I have seen it effect people as little as minor headaches to full blown vomiting and hospitalization. Be in the best shape possible (Cardio), Get to camp a couple days early, let your body adjust. Drink lots of water/gatoraide/WA recover. Generally, if altitude sickness is going to set in, it tends to be in the first few days at altitude. Headaches, nausea, vomiting or flu like symptoms. If these symptoms start occurring and don't go away or get worse, you need to drop in altitude.

It's important to remember that everyone is different. Altitude affects people differently. Some adjust quickly and don't have too many problems. Others take longer. Even a physically fit, young athlete can take longer to adjust than you'd expect. !

THIS !!
Everyone is different, better safe than sorry.
A fat old man may feel nothing, and a fit young athlete may get deathly ill.
Like everyone else has said, drink plenty of fluids, avoid coffee/booze and take it easy the first day or two, working your way up to the harder stuff.
If you feel it coming on, headache, nausea, dizziness, STOP exerting yourself, hydrate and get to lower elevation ASAP.

I was on a winter backcountry hut trip on skis a few years ago. The hut was at 11,500. We were woken up in the night by a member of another group in the hut saying they had problems. A young woman who was a marathon runner had developed HAPE and was having severe problems breathing . We put her in the hut tobaggon at 1AM and headed downhill and took her to the Leadville hospital.

Point is, you won't know who it might affect. Take it easy the first couple of days, drinks lots of water, don't drink alcohol, keep your caffeine intake to a minimum.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back