Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Help me plan a family trip to the Tetons -June 2024

Arcola

We've decided that we're going to kick off summer with a trip to the Tetons. It's an area that my wife and I have always wanted to visit but never really got into the planning stages due to "life". We're planning on the first week or two of June.

Our boys (5 and 9 years old) are great travelers. We hunt out West and up North several times each year and make it a family outing, dragging our camper all over creation.

We're coming from the Midwest and have spent much time in the Eastern halves of MT & WY, so we'll be pushing through there quickly en-route to our final destination. Usually when we're traveling it's 40% hunt, 60% screw around exploring, climbing rocks, and digging holes. I want to plan this one out a little better and create an itinerary of sorts.

I'm looking for input on the "must-see" or "must-do" things while out in that area. Should we bring our camper, or are there great lodging options I should be looking into? Should we settle on one place for the week, or are things spread out enough that we should be hopping around every couple nights?

We typically avoid of the real "touristy" stuff and mobs of other tourists but if there's touristy stuff that you think we should see, let me know. We like to get off the beaten path and are all capable of doing so on foot. That said, we won't be tenting it (wife has an aversion to her kids tent camping in grizzly country and I'm on board with that).

I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions and ideas from like minded folks.

As long as you are in the Tetons, a short day trip loop of Yellowstone NP is a must for 5 & 9 yr old boys.
Don't know how long you are there, but there are more sights, backcountry trails, camper spots, rivers, streams, lakes, and fun places to explore than you could enjoy in even a full summer. Get reservations early for your camper at the popular campgrounds. Study some good maps and descover out-of-the-way places to camp and visit. Look at primitive camping at Grassy Lake near boundary of Teton - Yellowstone, as an example.
My wife and I are familiar with area and have taken our grandkids and cousins on "5-yr-old" trips and other excursions. If visiting Yellowstone, stop at first ranger station and pickup the Junior Ranger workbook, as it is full of interesting information and fun requirements for the boys to earn Junior Ranger badges.
Keep us posted as you narrow down your intinerary.

Boden and Braden  YNP campfire humor.jpgP1010699.JPG

If you like to boondock I have some coordinates I will send of an absolutely amazing camping location just outside of Teton on NF land. Views for days.

If you’re hauling a camper, I’d choose Gros Ventre Campground. Make a reservation. The river is close by and the kids will love splashing around. You’ll probably see moose. There will be a lot of tourist activity, but I wouldn’t let that bother you. People like the place, for good reason. I’d definitely take the boat across Jenny Lake and hike up Cascade Canyon a ways. It’s a busy trail but good for kids and well worth it. I’d take the tram up Rendevous Mtn at Teton Village. The kids will be impressed with the temperature change. I’d have lunch on the patio at Jackson Lake Lodge. I’d head up to Colter Bay amd let the kids play around in the water. Make sure to get a family picture at the Snake River Overlook. And then there are tons of things to do in Jackson with little kids: alpine slide, mtn coaster, etc. My boys are older than yours but they still like hanging around Town Square and watching the “shootout.” You can’t go wrong, man. GTNP is a crown jewel of our National Park system for a reason. And, yes, by all means head north to Yellowstone for a couple of days and at least check out the sights along the southern loop.

Re: Yellowstone. Someone told me they cut out the buses full of folks from SanFran. If that is true then June might not be so bad, but expect traffic, lots of it.

The Idaho side can be really nice too; sawtelle, Henry’s lake area, Harriman state park, Mesa Falls. Fishing on the rivers can be really good that time of year

As long as you are in the Tetons, a short day trip loop of Yellowstone NP is a must for 5 & 9 yr old boys.
Don't know how long you are there, but there are more sights, backcountry trails, camper spots, rivers, streams, lakes, and fun places to explore than you could enjoy in even a full summer. Get reservations early for your camper at the popular campgrounds. Study some good maps and descover out-of-the-way places to camp and visit. Look at primitive camping at Grassy Lake near boundary of Teton - Yellowstone, as an example.
My wife and I are familiar with area and have taken our grandkids and cousins on "5-yr-old" trips and other excursions. If visiting Yellowstone, stop at first ranger station and pickup the Junior Ranger workbook, as it is full of interesting information and fun requirements for the boys to earn Junior Ranger badges.
Keep us posted as you narrow down your intinerary.

View attachment 320622View attachment 320623
Looks like you and yours have had some great times out there. Appreciate the suggestions -especially the ranger workbook. My boys love that type of activity.

If you’re hauling a camper, I’d choose Gros Ventre Campground. Make a reservation. The river is close by and the kids will love splashing around. You’ll probably see moose. There will be a lot of tourist activity, but I wouldn’t let that bother you. People like the place, for good reason. I’d definitely take the boat across Jenny Lake and hike up Cascade Canyon a ways. It’s a busy trail but good for kids and well worth it. I’d take the tram up Rendevous Mtn at Teton Village. The kids will be impressed with the temperature change. I’d have lunch on the patio at Jackson Lake Lodge. I’d head up to Colter Bay amd let the kids play around in the water. Make sure to get a family picture at the Snake River Overlook. And then there are tons of things to do in Jackson with little kids: alpine slide, mtn coaster, etc. My boys are older than yours but they still like hanging around Town Square and watching the “shootout.” You can’t go wrong, man. GTNP is a crown jewel of our National Park system for a reason. And, yes, by all means head north to Yellowstone for a couple of days and at least check out the sights along the southern loop.
There's a month long vaca worth of info here, really appreciate the suggestions. I'll get to researching!

The kids liked the Jenny Lake boat trip/hiking and the gondola ride at Teton Village. I much preferred the ID side vs Jackson Hole. We stayed in Driggs and would do it again. Lots of great hikes in the area.

If you find yourself hungry in Driggs, the chimichanga at the Royal Wolf was life changing (in a good way). Buy a round for the guides at the bar and you might get some great trout advice if you want to chase fish.

If your kids like dinosaurs, figure out a way to get to the Wyoming Dinosaur Center and check out one of their dig for a day (or a couple hours) excursions. Blow your kid’s mind. Our son was 9 and daughter was 7. IMG_2737.jpegIMG_2734.jpegIMG_2747.jpegIMG_2764.jpeg

If you weren’t from the Great North, I’d caution you to pack warmish clothes. Chilly nights at elevation still in June.

Back