NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Help Me Identify These...

Here's a picture of some scat we came across. I know it's not horse or cow. There were two piles within 25-feet of each other. Both were still steaming!

Attachments

• Scat.jpg
    Scat.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 592
Well, from there to Condon probably has the most dense population of grizzlies in the lower 48 states.:eek:

But there is also piles of blackies. You just need to catch one out in one of those clearcuts.

Didn't see anything eh? I almost went down there today to investigate for gits and shiggles.

Pardon the pun.....
I just saw that and thought HOLY CRAP....then a great line,
'Boy............I crap bigger then you'

I found some tracks about identical to those and found the bear. Had him in the crosshairs at about 40 yards laying down facing directly toward me. And the characteristics of the bear looked far too much like a griz to pull the trigger, but naturally now I'm second guessing myself like crazy.... not sure whether to kick myself or thank myself.

Been up there 308? last night and tonight were beautiful. I know there are big blackies in there.

One peculiar thing. It is appearing that the bear kill this spring is quite low. The taxis and tanners just aren't seeing them at all.

Also, some guys I know are not seeing them down in the grass, they seem to be finding them up high in the snow! Very wierd.

7MAG, I've been doing the same thing since the day I saw them! drahthaar, I haven't been up there lately. I might go tomorrow, but I don't know what time. If you see a white suburban up there at any time, it'll be me! I've got three days still and I want to get one with my bow so bad! I don't have the energy to get up early in the morning, so it'll be afternoon/evening when I'm up there!

Yeah, I may be out trying to find that big guy too. (if it's the same one) Hopefully this time i can get a good side profile of the thing. I'm pretty sure now that what I found was a big cinnamon blackie but in the few seconds where he was lying down facing me I just couldn't make a 100% determination.

Okay guys, I'm pretty sure I got the official verdict on what those tracks were! My 10-year old and I were out today and spotted a couple of cubs scurrying up and down a tree, Momma was at the base of the tree feeding on grass and other greens.
Turns out, Momma was a HUGE black bear. She outweighed my son and I both! The cubs were definitely this year's, but they were still pretty small. She was a big broad, though. This was the most beautiful bear I've ever seen! I'd be willing to bet that the tracks I posted earlier on in this thread were from her!!
My 10-year old was thrilled beyond belief, but also scared nearly out of his pants! He was worried about getting eaten the whole time. She bluff-charged to within 30-yards of us, which didn't set too well with my 10-year old. I popped off a round from my .45 into the ground in front of her. That caused her to stop and look at us for a few seconds, after that she ran to about 80-yards away, woofing and huffing the whole way. After a quick call to a game warden-friend of mine to let him know, we managed to get out of the area.
This was the funnest hunting experience I've ever had! I can't be happier about going out after a bear than I was today! First year ever, pursuing Black Bear and my son and I had the coolest experience ever!!!!
Thanks a bunch drahthaar!!!!

Attachments

• Bear 1.jpg
    Bear 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Bear 2.jpg
    Bear 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Bear 3.jpg
    Bear 3.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 83
Back