Yeti GOBOX Collection

Help Me Identify These...

308reloader

I came across these tracks with a friend of mine today in an area another member of this forum suggested I try. At first, I thought the footprint in the 'Bear 1' picture was just a hind foot, but the more I look at it, the more I'm seeing two. Tell me if I'm seeing things or if this is a really huge hind foot.
My knife measures about 5 1/2-inches long in the pictures. The front paw has got to be about 6-inches wide or so, but I'm not 100% sure. I need to carry a small measuring tape, like my mother still uses for sewing, with me to measure when I see stuff like this!
I looked at the examples of footprints in the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks website. The Grizzly print that they show has claw prints way out in front of the paw print. The Black Bear prints are a little more close-in. I'm at a loss. I want to believe that they're Black Bear, but maybe that's just my wishful drinking now that I'm home!!

Attachments

• Bear 1.jpg
    Bear 1.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 647
  • Bear 2.jpg
    Bear 2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 653
  • Bear 3.jpg
    Bear 3.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 649
Its hard to say in that slop. I've got some pictures of some I'm unsure of as well. The claw marks on yours look longer than they do in the ones I found, but its hard to tell without a reference by them. Mine were right at an inch and a half out which I've read is the maximum of a black bear. I, like you, am wishfully thinking black bear.

Last edited:
Help me make sure I'm not seeing things too. Is there two footprints, one on top of the other, in the first picture?? I think I'm seeing two, but I want to make sure that someone else is seeing it too!!

In the first picture, with my knife next to it, it seems like it would come out to being around 13-inches long! The picture of the front paw with my knife, appears to be only 6-inches or so wide. I'm convinced that the prints that are in the first picture are a front and a back, one on top of the other. I can't imagine that a Griz would have a 13-inch long hind foot and a front paw of only 6-inches wide or so...

A 6 inch wide front pad would possibly put that bear in the 7 foot range. Hind feet are always longer than the fronts. If I'm wrong and that is a blacky then you better be camped on it because it will be the size of Greenhorns.

What about this?
http://www.bear-tracker.com/bear.html
It's showing a crease in the hind foot, but if I'm correct in assuming that the top picture is a hind/front combination, the crease from the hind foot could be around the same area as the rear portion of the front foot!! Maybe I'm trying to be a little too optimistic, but I don't know! I want it to be a Black Bear, but at the same time, I want to be sure of what it is so I know if it's worth pursuing more or if it should be left alone!!!!

I think the only way of knowing for sure is to sit on that roadway a few times and see if something comes walking down there!!

It's a griz, he just kept walking south. LOL You aren't far from where these were taken, last week.

DSCN0617.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know guys! I'm frustrated. I want it to be one animal, but I'm afraid it might be another! If I didn't shave my head, I'd be pulling my hair out right about now! I honestly don't know what to say about it! I'm just going to have to bring the wife and her fancy camera along and sit on that trail in hopes of seeing something walk down there. That way, she can take pictures of it and have something to show for it. If I can't shoot it with my bow, she sure as heck can with her camera!

griztrk.jpg

This is rough, but see how all the toe marks are above the line(minimal arch), one is slightly bisected, but mostly over. That is why I am thinking griz. Black bears have more curvature to the toe pads, where the pad on the right will be half to wholely under the line. Grizzly toe pad also sometimes look like they are touching, where blackies have completely separate pads.
The claw marks are way out there too, but if they aren't visible, the toe pads give it away pretty well.

This has attributes of both, makes it a bit of a guess sometimes. Hard to tell from pic, easier on the ground.

Last edited:
You know, you don't have to be right! You're the one who sent me out there in the first place! LOL. I didn't think you'd send me after a Griz! I want a LEGAL bear, not one that will land me in prison!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back