Hello from "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

WV Hunter

/Austin Powers\ "Please Allow Myself to Introduce Myself" /Austin Powers\ :D

Hello from the great State of West Virginia, only greater than Mississippi of course. Just kidding Mississippi........

Anyways, I am a long time hunter and fisherman, if you can call mostly fishing from the bank a fisherman. The only hunting I have ever done has been for whitetails. Recently I have had a great desire to go on an Elk hunt and I hope do be able to accomplish that in the next few years. I definitely day dream about bull elks looking thru some of the photos you guys post. Very jealous of the regions and hunts you guys get to go on. I would love to do a 100% OYO Elk hunt and if I were lucky enough to bag a raghorn or spike I would probably be satisfied for life. Of course an Elk hunt to me may be like Africa to other guys, do anything possible to do it again.

After sifting thru several different sections on this site I am making a list of all the great hunts I want to do.......Pronghorns, Sheep, Mule Deer, Bear, and on and on. :D At least I have plenty of hunting goals to try and accomplish now.

I don't have any great hunting stories to tell. Most of my recent hunts have been short day trips. When I was younger I would tag along with my dad on some crazy adventures with him and his hunting buddies. Now that I am in my mid 30's I can't seem to find anybody willing to go on these adventures that I remember so fondlly. Everybody seems to only be able to take a day or two off from work and family, which I understand, I have 3 young children and a very important job. Sorry, didn't mean to go on a mini cry baby fest.

Here is some pictures from the last few deer I harvested.

This may look like a spike but it's actually a very messed up 5 point. Not sure why I am making such a stupid looking face, swear it's not permenant.
DSC_00011345.jpg

Here is a 7 point I killed the year before.
deer.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Chris

Welcome aboard Chris. You have come to the right place to learn about the west and remember we still like to talk Whitetail no matter where that WEST is. John

Welcome!

I remember saying when I moved out of MD that I didn't care if I shot another whitetail, but I was wrong... Iove hunting deer, just didn't love the east coast...

Nice pictures, those black faced deer are pretty .

I hunt just about everything the west has to offer, and still place whitetail WAY up towards the top. Not to mention they're far and away my favorite game meat.

Welcome aboard.

I`m right there with you WV. I`m in NC and have the same desires of wanting to go anywhere out west. I`ve been hunting whitetail for well over 20 years. Will always hunt them and thank God for the opportunity to do so. The only time I`ve been anywhere on the other side of the Mighty Mississippi was to Dallas and Vegas on business trips. Going to Vegas I starred at the rocky`s while flying over and could not take my eyes off. Day dreaming the entire time of all the elk, sheep, antelope, etc. that was directly below me. Reading the post from these guys about pronghorn, elk sounds like us going deer hunting. I don`t think they (you western guys) know how good they have it!

I think someone on here should invite WV and myself on any elk hunt...like he said, a spike or raghorn would be a trophy to us! Or maybe a pronghorn hunt! What do you think WV? I`ll swing by and pick you up on the way.

Last edited:
I think someone on here should invite WV and myself on any elk hunt...like he said, a spike or raghorn would be a trophy to us! Or maybe a pronghorn hunt! What do you think WV? I`ll swing by and pick you up on the way.

I've already got my stuff packed. When do we leave?

WY Antalope

My son and I just got back from a lope hunt in Wyoming. We took two nice lopes one was 78 6/8 and the one my son got was 81 4/8 you can see the pitchers on the posts. It was a cold hunt but we did see a lot of lopes. Did not have to have any points to get it. I would be looking on WY Game and Fish Commission webb. It was a lot of fun and a dang good hunt for a first timer. It would be a good hunt to start with for a On Your Own Adventure. Me, I am still tyring to get on a good White tail hunt back East some place. Good Luck

Last edited:
Mr Butchman:

Were you in unit 38? I got a call from someone going there with their son looking for advice. They got my number from the Huntin Fool as I previously drew the same unit (with no points also).

For the rest of you, there are plenty of antelope in the "non trophy units" if you are willing to scout and hunt hard.

Thanks for the info Mr Butchman and mdhunter. I will start looking into that for next year.

Back